LSD trip - and bank account- can't find post

KirstyS

Hi. A while ago I read a post where the person had opened a bank account before their trip and used that while on holiday. I am looking to do that as a way to save before we go but it seems you would need to confirm your address to get access to the account. Can anyone give me advise? Thanks

You can open a bank account easily from RSA as long as you already have a visa then get it activated while you are here in Auz.

We went with commonwealth and have been happy with them, they have a RSA number you can call and set it up through,

South Africa

0800 980 339

If you call during office hours in Auz you will be connected to someone directly at the bank who will set it up while you on the phone, if outside AU hours they will do the application online and it will then be processed next business day

When we signed up remotely they gave us a "no bank charges for a year" deal so ask for that

Thanks Nev. the problem is if we get the visa (14 days since CO assigned and still waiting) we will have to go on an activation trip in June. But we could only go over permanently January 2016. So we won't have an address to supply them with when we want to use it on our June trip. Is there anyway around this?

You dont need the address to create the account (As you do the create from RSA)

I remember that there were restrictions on the account until we got here and had proof of address, but the person at that number gave me all the details up front, give them a call and they should be able to give you all the info,

Let me know what they say as it has been a while since i went through it

We didn't need a visa to open an account with Commonwealth whilst still in RSA......maybe phone/email them and confirm. We obviously didn't have an address either.....the only restriction was that we couldn't touch the money until we had activated it in Oz. We had that account going for almost 2 years before we eventually landed.