Car Rentals in Gold Coast

JaxBell82

We are looking at arriving on the Gold Coast 22 December. Need to look at hiring a car till we are able to find a cheap car. We got a good quote but i then read all the reviews (BAD) about the company and then cancelled it.

Can anyone recommend affordable and professional car rental company???

Thanks

WE rented a car with a company called "rent a bomb"

It was a 14y old car, and quite worn. But worked like a dream and was cheap!!

Cost us the same for 2 weeks as one of the big name companies cost for one day!

So it is a good option if you are on a budget.

The only thing is...

You can only drive in a certain area.

Because if it breaks they dont want to pay much for the tow in fees.

So look under the rental terms for the map of the area where you may use it.

So it is not a good car to travel australia with. But good to stay in your area and look for house, school, job etc.

http://www.rentabomb.com.au/Locations/PalmBeach.aspx

Do not worry too much about the bad reviews as people mostly only write reviews if something bad happens, you will notice most car rental companies get bad reviews. And most of it is to do with the excess they have to pay because the car had a scrape on and it wasn't them or something like that. But they are sharks and will try and take advantage of you so read the smallprint. We went with Avis recently which was more expensive so we hoped more reputable and they tried to charge us for petrol even though we returned with a full tank!

What I suggest you do is take out travel insurance once you arrive (you are kind of on a holiday for the first few weeks!) which includes excess insurance at a fraction of the price which the car rental companies charge you. That way if something happens to the car you are covered.

We recently on holiday to Brisbane and the Gold Coast and I got insurance from InsureandGo - they were cheap and very efficient, I was going to claim as we though my daughter's phone got stolen and there seemed to be no issue with them, they sent me all the paperwork and everything but then luckily they found her phone in the rental car... teenagers. :glare:

You should be fine with all the reputable ones - Avis, Budget, Europcar, etc...

Although as Sibella pointed out - they do try it on by putting petrol charges on your bill "by accident" and then taking them off when you complain. Happened to me a couple of times both in SA and in Aus. You just need to watch your final charge/invoice once you've finished with them and report any issues.

Vroomvroomvroom.com.au have a great website and quote system which gets the best rates across all the major car hire companies. Have used them a number of times...

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

Hope you well.

Just wanting to check something that was mentioned above...

"What I suggest you do is take out travel insurance once you arrive (you are kind of on a holiday for the first few weeks!) which includes excess insurance at a fraction of the price which the car rental companies charge you. That way if something happens to the car you are covered."

I see that when i booked a car via vroomvroomvroom (Hertz), they asked me to take optional excess insurance and i remember what had been said, so i didn't opt for this, think it was $220. We are only gonna have the car for 2 weeks so we can get familiar with the area and transport... Can i get travel insurance instead of this excess insurance and would i take it out now for the dates we there or only do it once we arrive? Do all family members have to be covered by travel insurance or only the driver? It was quote as $130 for all family members.

Thanks.

Jax

Jax - if you take out the family travel insurance if should cover you as well if you list yourself as a driver on the car rental form. If you don't list yourself as additional driver then you wont be covered. Send me a pm and I will give you my details so you will at least have a contact when you arrive here. Do you have family here? Where are you staying?

I would take it out online before you arrive, they email you the documents and you specify the dates you require it for. Also with InsureandGo it covered the whole family.