Entertainment etiquette

DXB2OZ

Help. Been invited to a neighbour's house for drinks (she's inviting quite a crowd). Asked what I can bring and was asked to bring wine if that was what I was drinking.

Back home, I would normally also take a plate of nibbles. What is the norm here?

No harm in bringing the nibbles. Sorry I'm not living there yet, but I am curious to see the replies on social norm and etiquette..

Why not just ask her? I explained to our first ozzie hostess we would normally do this or that and what would she like me to do and she told me. I have found that if Im honest and saying, look, it's new to us, we have certain things we do and I dont want to make a faux pas, they like and appreciate the honesty and doesnt mind at all telling you what is expected / not expected (we were required to only bring what we drink at that particular event). Enjoy!

• Like 2

Since arriving here we have made a number of new friends and been to a number of invites.

Taking something extra is always welcomed we felt. But not a must.

Also, no harm in asking either.

As Toitjie mentioned, being honest is always good. Tell them you are new to Aus and still learning how it all works here. I found Aussies love honesty and even more love immigrants making the effort to become an "Aussie".

• Like 3

As a minimum, bring the alcohol she asked for. If you are a keen cook or energetic in that way, say you would love to bring a plate of nibbles, but she has to tell you if it should be sweet or savoury. Thats what I normally do. More often than not, although told not to bring anything, people come in carrying a big packet of chips, or a dip and biscuits, or flowers, or a bottle of juice, or sparking water, six pack of beer, etc. What ever they are into at the moment. They normally leave it there, unless the host insist they take the left overs home with them.

Yip,

Just ask mate, no harm no foul. I note that most times Aussies will ask you to bring your own drinks (BYO drinks) as this is expensive. (chzaau can sort you with some SA "skokkejan" for 10 Rands a gallon, survival not part of the price, PMSL)

When we invite people though we just ask to bring own drinks, we provide food, per SA tradition.

• Like 1

I note that most times Aussies will ask you to bring your own drinks (BYO drinks) as this is expensive.

Cost is perhaps a factor, but to be realistic, how on earth are you to know what everybody wants to drink on that day. What if a beer-man walks in and you just assumed everybody were wine-people? For my husbands 40th, I was somehow left in charge of buying the booze. As I am a bubble-junkie, I bought about 4 cases of bubbly. My husband (beer-man) almost laid an egg. Luckily he discovered this a few days before the party and had time to correct the balance :whome:

• Like 2

We have a few close Aussie friends whom we can chat quite frankly and ask questions as we settle into becoming "Australians".

Their answer to the question of "BYO drinks"..........."it is the company that matters most. Why burden the host to do everything."

You should always take a bottle of wine for the hostess, so enquire from her re her taste, or just take a bottle of Chardonnay, if you know anyone else attending, ask them what wine she drinks, plus your own booze, may people take their own esky filled with ice if you are going to party......or just a few bottles of wine etc.

I think nibbles would be appreciated but not compulsory, many Australians will ask you to bring a plate, but even if they don't I always do, perhaps a little South African hors- d'oeuvres as a nice ice breaker.

Update - survived my social outing. At least half the people brought a plate of nibbles - was so pleased I brought something. Wine was pooled, you didn't stick to your bottle but shared with others who then shared with you. This worked well as I discovered some new wines.

Had a really lovely time.

• Like 2