Which aircraft?

Springbok

Hi everyone

Which aircraft does Qantas use to fly to Sydney from Joburg? I would like to know in order to book a specific seat using www.seatexpert.com. So which is it of the following:

Airbus A330-300

Boeing 747-300 52-370 (52 business and 370 economy seats)

Boeing 747-300 52-398 (52 business and 398 economy seats)

Boeing 747-400 14-50-315 (14 first class, 50 business and 315 economy seats)

Thanks!

Hi Springbok

If you go to the Qantas site, you can look this up for yourself. You know what date you are flying, so in the box, fill in the info as if you are making a booking, when it throws out the flight for you, then you will see the flight number is clickable, if you click on this it will show you what aircraft will be flying that route on that day! Hope this solves your problem.

http://www.qantas.com.au/regions/dyn/home/...ifier-region-au

For the Sydney to Jhb its is The Boeing 747-400 but nowhere could I find the configuration for the the flight, there are three for the 747-400

14 First; 64 Business; 265 Economy*

14 First; 50 Business; 315 Economy*

56 Business; 356 Economy*

but that is a great site Sspringbok, especiallly if you are my size & can't bring yourself to fork out the additional R 30 000 ! for a business class seat , I didn't even ask about 1st class

There is quite a debate as to best policy to follow in getting the most room. Do you try book the emergency exit with about 10cm extra leg room but you will probably have all seats in the row taken (remember seats are not guaranteed and you will be 'bumped' if a frequet flyer or significant other chooses your seat )? or go to the back on the isle so you can spot & move quickly to where there is a 'gap' ?

In my experience the 'bulkhead seats are not a good option ...often babies closeby, they are near the toilets so lots of noise (& smells) <_<

nuff said

Edited by Barnone

Do you book a one way or a return ticket on a 457?

Wendy

You know what date you are flying, so in the box, fill in the info as if you are making a booking, when it throws out the flight for you, then you will see the flight number is clickable

Great, thanks Mara! i see it's the Boeing 747-438 Longreach aircraft. However it does come in 3 different seat configurations:

14 First; 64 Business; 265 Economy (Boeing 747-400GE)

14 First; 50 Business; 315 Economy (Boeing 747-400RR)

56 Business; 356 Economy (Boeing 747-400RR)

Row 70 is the best in my opinion...

but that is a great site Sspringbok, especiallly if you are my size

me too - I need space for my legs! When I travelled to Australia last month, I opted for one of the rows with 2 seats near the back, where the body of the aircraft starts tapering towards the tail. Usually rows 70-72 and seats A, B, J or K.

Do you book a one way or a return ticket on a 457?

no idea - i have PR, so i'm going one way...

Edited by Springbok

For the Sydney to Jhb its is The Boeing 747-400 but nowhere could I find the configuration for the the flight, there are three for the 747-400

14 First; 64 Business; 265 Economy*

14 First; 50 Business; 315 Economy*

56 Business; 356 Economy*

but that is a great site Sspringbok, especiallly if you are my size & can't bring yourself to fork out the additional R 30 000 ! for a business class seat , I didn't even ask about 1st class

There is quite a debate as to best policy to follow in getting the most room. Do you try book the emergency exit with about 10cm extra leg room but you will probably have all seats in the row taken (remember seats are not guaranteed and you will be 'bumped' if a frequet flyer or significant other chooses your seat )? or go to the back on the isle so you can spot & move quickly to where there is a 'gap' ?

In my experience the 'bulkhead seats are not a good option ...often babies closeby, they are near the toilets so lots of noise (& smells) :ilikeit:

nuff said

Ha-ha! My husband is 2m tall, but we travel with children, so he is quite happy with the seating. We choose to have the first seats behind business....no toilets and smells! When we came back from SA beginning of the year we were seated next to some European people with a very noisy 7-month old. Halfway through the flight I politely asked the lady if she wanted to make use of my "medication" as in to calm her little one....that did the trick!

Great, thanks Mara! i see it's the Boeing 747-438 Longreach aircraft. However it does come in 3 different seat configurations:

14 First; 64 Business; 265 Economy (Boeing 747-400GE)

14 First; 50 Business; 315 Economy (Boeing 747-400RR)

56 Business; 356 Economy (Boeing 747-400RR)

O.K. I have just spoken to Deeksha at IOM to book my seat - it seems that the Qantas aircraft flying to Sydney, is the 2-class configuration (Boeing 747-400RR; 56 Business; 356 Economy):

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Ai...g_747-400_2.php

I booked seat 70K, but these seats are also fine:

70A, 71A/B, 71J/K, 72A/B, 72J/K, 73B, 73J

The following seats have reduced legroom because of boxes for the entertainment system under the seats directly ahead: 70B, 70J

And these seats feel cramped due to the curvature of the fuselage: 73A, 73K