Chartered accountant - are there still jobs available..

RenierV

I think in the end Audit is a easier ticket to Australia and as long as I know that and use it as such it should be ok.

Does anyone perhaps have any view on which areas are best to secure audit jobs?

So to each their own, apologies if I get defensive of sticking up for auditors, just think that in many cases it's shortsighted and given the economic climate for those wanting to enter Aus audit seems to be a great way into the market place to gain experience, even if you don't see yourself there long term, but don't look a proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

Haha no problem - I don't think any of us are bashing auditors (I'm certainly not), just that for some (most?) people it's very difficult to stick with it. Not because of the content of the work itself, but the toxic work environment that seems to exist.

I took issue with being treated like a child. I once had an incident where someone from work phoned me while I was at a wedding and I didn't take their call.... when I called them back they then proceeded to dump on my head because I had dared not take their super crucial audit related call while attending a wedding at 3pm on MY SATURDAY. As if someone was going to die on an operating table if I didn't take that call immediately! This, plus various other incidents (like when you leave at 5pm and someone marks a clever remark about 'working half day') led to me concluding that the culture is rotten and I have no interest in being a part of it. Of course I did have some positive experiences that made up for the bad, I miss my audit teams and we had many good laughs and some of the clients were awesome!

DeepFriedMatt puts it well - for your 3 years articles, you're just a slave, you're an indentured servant. Most of us don't bother to stick around in audit long enough to give it more of a chance.

• Like 1

I think this article sums up audit pretty well - watch the video. It's hilarious!

http://goingconcern.com/post/pwc-presents-day-life-pwc-audit

The soulless, soft spoken team members who wax lyrical (in a weirdly numb, sad way) about audit... lulz.

Donovan, that is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

You just made my day! :jester::jester: :jester: :jester::jester:

Good to see that accountants know a quarterly review consists of 3 months' figures, lol.

Donovan, that is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

You just made my day! :jester::jester: :jester: :jester::jester:

It's just so true to exactly how it is - everyone has these fake smiles and odd way of speaking ever so gently, as if by doing so they avoid unleashing an epic sh*tstorm. Walking on eggshells.

I do think it could be a bit more representative of the reality of audit - I mean come on. They were all sitting at their own desks, that never happens. They should've shown them all sitting together in a small room with no windows, and also so close to each other that they're always touching somehow and smelling each other's bad breath (who needs personal hygiene when you're working 16 hours a day?!).

• 4 weeks later...

@Slinky - any bites with those job applications? following the job market closely for CA's...

Things are going a bit better on the job hunt! We had no bites for the first 3 or 4 weeks but suddenly hubby has 5 interviews set up! The first one is in the Central Coast region and the firm seems keen- been for the first interview already and they will get back to us next week after their directors meeting. The second one hubby has been short listed for is in Toowoomba. Then there is an one in Albury and two in Sydney. Also a potential job in Lismore but no interview set up as yet. It definitely seems like you need to be here before the firms will look at you and you need to get at least one recruitment agent in your corner. This seems vital as they are the "gate-keepers" to most of the jobs. Most of the recruitment agents will say they can't help you if you have no Aussie experience, but there are a few who are eager to help. Will keep you posted!

Most of the recruitment agents will say they can't help you if you have no Aussie experience, but there are a few who are eager to help. Will keep you posted!

It comes down to what their customers will accept. Many companies will hint to the recruiter that they want someone with local experience. For example, we had a guy apply with his. He had had fantastic experience in India. But his psych test said he would take absolutely no initiative. That's a nice way of saying "he got where he got because of the cast system". The recruiter didn't send anyone for an interview who wasn't local after that.

I guess you need to understand, the work environment and culture in Aussie is similar to RSA... but worlds apart from India, Korea or China. Companies can't legally tell recruiters, "No Asians please!". They can say, "I need someone with local experience!". So South African's who are new in Aussie loose out.

There is also another very practical reason. Many highly skilled jobs are filled by recruiters searching through linkedin. If you don't have Aussie connections, they will struggle to find you.