Parents to be at airport or not?

nicknel

It a funeral with the living dead best sums it up.

Do proper good byes, say your sorrys mend you lose ends. Depart well because this may be the last time you see those people alive.

Then comes all the excitement of getting your passport stamped and walking free ... knowing that you are now out of that bad land called South Africa, down with them all. Time for a little mini air box moment. Then the 2nd excitement when you thundering down that runway and lift off, take a moment to high five those around, you have done it.

• Like 1

I am with Jordy on this one. When we left RSA I asked that my mother not come to the airport, I was not sure how I would handle it. She was adamant though, and my sister brought her to say goodbye. Mum and my sister said there goodbyes a little earlier than the rest and off they walked. In my mind I can still see her walking away and me wanting to just go and grab her back!

The next part was soul destroying. We left on the 12th December, on the 21st my mother passed away unexpectedly, to this day I still feel bad about asking her not to come to the airport.

Life is tough and then you emigrate... then you quickly know that up to then life had been a walk in the park!

• Like 2

It a funeral with the living dead best sums it up.

Do proper good byes, say your sorrys mend you lose ends. Depart well because this may be the last time you see those people alive

How depressed am I now!?

How can I do this?

• Like 1

Eyebrow, to calm things down a bit, anyone of us could be hit by a car tomorrow. And someone will have seen us for the very last time.

I think referring to the airport departure as a funeral may be a slight over dramatisation. You leaving will not cause anyone to die. You staying will not cause anyone to live.

It's a goodbye. It's a hard one, but it is just a goodbye, not a funeral.

• Like 1

Ok, so we decided to let the parents see us off at the airport, now for the gift part.... Is a stuffed animal allowed? I read somewhere that they may take it apart to check for drugs. Not sure if this is true or not?

nicknel you watched too many Border Police shows! :jester:

They scan stuff and use dogs and the like mate, stuffed toy is just fine.

I read somewhere that they may take it apart to check for drugs. Not sure if this is true or not?

Nope. The X-ray machine will take care of that.