Arriving Sydney dec 27 where do we look for a months furnished Accomodation?

Crossedover

We know we are picking the 'worst' time to arrive in Sydney, but we are nonetheless looking for a place to rent for a month that is central enough for us to suburb search. We are a family of 5.

It seems like Air b 'n b has very little under the $5000 mark.... Where else can we look?

Thanks everyone :)

I had exactly the same problem!

I saw most things for 5 people at $200/night which equals $6000/m!

And then none that I looked at in that price range could even take us continuously. So we would have to do a few days there, and then few days elsewhere and keep moving. Wasnt good.

In hindsight, arriving in the holidays is not a good idea.

But what do you do with kids?

Hi

Try the Lane Cove National Park. They have chalets and camping. The camp site however has a fridge, microwave, gas braai, tv room. laundry and wifi. ablutions. They restrict your stay to 30 days.

It is not a South African camping ground.

Hi

Try the Lane Cove National Park. They have chalets and camping. The camp site however has a fridge, microwave, gas braai, tv room. laundry and wifi. ablutions. They restrict your stay to 30 days.

It is lush and amazing. Definitely a great holiday start to life in Aus, with the city a bus ride away. Booking might be a problem, but still worth checking. They have a coffee guy who comes around, a pizza evening with wood fire pizzas, wildlife and Aboriginal talks, nice pool to chill in. The cabins are divine.

Thanks for the help... I just was desperate to know we had somewhere to stay so we just had to dig a little/lot deeper..... :( but I do feel a lot better knowing when we land we have a place to go to for the first month. And yippy we don't have to cut the grass! How your focus starts to change ... :)

• Like 1

Hi Crossingover,

We also arriving in December... not the ideal time I know, but it can't be helped. Also looking on Airbnb, but we will be staying with friends for a few weeks, then Airbnb, hopefully, then finding a rental.... fun and games. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to land in December?

• Like 1

Thanks for the help... I just was desperate to know we had somewhere to stay so we just had to dig a little/lot deeper..... :( but I do feel a lot better knowing when we land we have a place to go to for the first month. And yippy we don't have to cut the grass! How your focus starts to change ... :)

Did you get a booking, Crossingover?

On our LSD we uses Air BnB and we thought it was a fantastic facility. So we thought we would do the same for our "touch down" Accomodation too.... Well it was scary as to the price of accomodation. BUT what was extra frustrating was the advertised price suddenly changed overnight with the inquiry. The first place went up by $1000 per month and the other doubled in price. Fortunately we managed to get one of the last available places available that looks livable in our now extended "budget".... Hey it's way more than we wanted to spend but arriving in a new country, knowing only 3 people is quite an adjustment so to arrive with 3 kids to some sad accomodation was just more than I could face. The place we will be staying is still an adjustment from our humble SA home but we can do it, it does seem to be in a lovely area so maybe it's all happened for a good reason.

I did however look at the Lane Cove National Park cabins and they look great too.... Maybe an exciting week end adventure for the near future... Even if we do end up living half an hour away!

• Like 1

The Lane Cove National Park cabins is actually quite affordable. I just did a quick search and found them to cost $155 per night with an extra $5 per child under 11. They currently have 2 bedroom en-suite cabins available from 2-5 Jan and then from 7 Jan - end of Feb for the same price.

We arrive in Melbourne on 29 December, a 100% emotional choice. Spending our last SA christmas with family but starting the new year in our new country. We want to give our kids their first Oz holiday and experience most of the "fun" stuff before starting the more serious stuff like school ect......

I would also like to know your motivation for your timing Crossingover. By the way, we're also going to stay in a self catering cabin in a caravan park for the first 2 weeks.

Hi miran,

There is no secret to our timing. We want our kids to finish the school year here.... We have a wedding here on the 14/12.... Then it's so close to Christmas we might as well stay here.... That gives us a month to try and find our feet whilst looking at schools for our 3 girls. So we arrive on the 27th do Dec.... Also the tickets are cheaper that week

• Like 1

Hi miran,

There is no secret to our timing. We want our kids to finish the school year here.... We have a wedding here on the 14/12.... Then it's so close to Christmas we might as well stay here.... That gives us a month to try and find our feet whilst looking at schools for our 3 girls. So we arrive on the 27th do Dec.... Also the tickets are cheaper that week

Crossingover you realise the schools will be closed? There won't be staff probably until the end of January. You should be able to walk around though.

Hi

I'd be surprised if there are vacancies mid high holiday season.