Relief teachers pay scale

Jordy

I wonder if anyone does relief teaching here that could explain the relief teachers pay scale to me please.

My mother in law is on PR having come the Contributory Parental Visa route. She has ten years before retirement and has been a teacher for the past 38 years. She is finding work doing relief but is being paid at a "Teacher Level 2" rate. Does the 38 years teaching in South Africa not count in Australia? There is quite a huge difference between the top ($396/day) and bottom rates ($238/day).

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

• Like 1

Hey Jordy, I can only comment on how it worked for us in QLD but it could quite possibly be the same for all the states as the registration authority here worked on the assessment done by AITSL which is a national organization.

Queensland College of Teachers as well as the QLD Department of Education base the number of years experience on the assessment outcome when determining the pay scale. One of the things you can request when having your skills assessed with AITSL is to ask for a letter confirming your equivalent teaching experience which goes a long way to determining your pay scale, well in QLD anyway.

It may be worth contacting the WA Department of Education and AITSL asking them if it would be worth having her skills assessed and requesting the letter of experience and if that woukd affect her pay scale. I know in QLD they determine the pay scale based on years teaching and not post level like in South Africa which I'm sure your mum is familiar with.

• Like 1

Hey Jordy,

We stayed next to an Aussie chick who relief taught and she got $300/day 4 years ago. Im keen to hear where you land on this as i plan to send my goose back into the workforce to help us out with firstly clearing debt and then onto buying a house. She is a sport scientist and a high school teacher by trade. But she first has to jump through 150 hoops to register, and this costs a small fortune in iteself.

• Like 1

Hi Jordy your MIL should earning on the top tier of a teacher's salary-in South Australia 17 years approved experience gets you onto Tier 9. The registration board in your state will advise you on what paperwork is required for verification. It is well worth jumping through the hoops as I only received my paperwork after 6 months of relief work and the Department back paid me.......every cent including the additional super.

Surferman I think your friend was earning that as gross salary not net but relief work is well paid if you can survive.

• Like 2