Got 190 for SA but jobs in other states

@Crisplet, thanks for your input. Its not that I was hiding though but circumstances dictated that way. I attended one telephonic interview in SA (The only job advertised in about 6 months now) and was not considered that time. When I spoke to the Melbourne job agent, he wondered why I was keen at settling in Adelaide in the first place! It sort of created an impression that Adelaide was a "no go" for people of my experience.
I did not have any idea of the job/economic comparisons between various states during my application. I was only guided by the information on the government websites. I had enough points to apply to any state but just chose SA.
You are very right on the medicare tracking. This email came after I did my application this week in Melbourne. Have been busy to do anything since my entry last October.

In South Australia, it's a bit more parochial than a lot of other cities, meaning it's not so much what you know, but who you happen to know.

It's a network thing, and people here in South Australia like to know who they are hiring and working with, I guess.

There is opportunity in South Australia. It may not come in the form or way you expect, but it works for the people here.

My son, a motor mechanic by trade, has his own workshop in a little country town nestled in the Adelaide Hills about half an hour's drive to the city centre of Adelaide. He is rolling in cash at the moment, having bought a 75 acre / 30 hectare property at the end of June in the Adelaide Hills with views looking to Mount Lofty, the highest point overlooking Adelaide itself. It is a hobby farm that he's got, only working on it over the weekend when his workshop isn't open. He put a 300 metre $15,000 bitumen driveway in a week ago at mate's rates. $4,000 to him. He just got talking to an old mate in the business.

My youngest daughter is a dentist, practising in Brisbane at the moment at a couple of public hospitals on the south side of the river.

Offered a job practising up in Cairns, far north Queensland, she knocked the job back because she wants to travel across Canada for a year or two, but I get the sense that she will settle back in South Australia once her itchy feet have been scratched enough in different parts.

She loves Queensland. It's a great part of Australia and over the past six years now has quite a number of good mates from there, but I reckon she'll end up in South Australia practising.

South Australia isn't a boom state, that much is true.

South Australia does offer a relaxed way of life that does appeal to some people. Just ask my son.

@Crisplet, thanks for your input. Its not that I was hiding though but circumstances dictated that way. I attended one telephonic interview in SA (The only job advertised in about 6 months now) and was not considered that time. When I spoke to the Melbourne job agent, he wondered why I was keen at settling in Adelaide in the first place! It sort of created an impression that Adelaide was a "no go" for people of my experience.

I did not have any idea of the job/economic comparisons between various states during my application. I was only guided by the information on the government websites. I had enough points to apply to any state but just chose SA.

You are very right on the medicare tracking. This email came after I did my application this week in Melbourne. Have been busy to do anything since my entry last October.

Gya I wasn't insinuating that you were hiding as such. It's just that it will be difficult to show that you really gave it a fair go when it was only one telephonic interview that didn't work out. Others who moved from ACT to Qld were job hunting for six months or more and could prove that there were no jobs in their field at the time. Of course the Melbourne agent would say that: he wants the commission for placing you.

It's also that applicants need to take state sponsorship seriously. If you could have chosen any state then perhaps this is a heads up to others that they must choose their state carefully and research the job market if they have a choice of states. It is my opinion that the list of state occupations is not really a list of a shortage of those skills with jobs waiting to be filled but rather a case of "Hmmm we don't have any of those, lets put that on our list. It would be really good to have an xyz industry in our state / city etc." So research is the key.

None of this helps you now so you need to contact the department and find out what they need you to do. If Victoria has your occupation on their list then perhaps you can shift over to that state. The thing is that by choosing South Australia you may have had your application fast tracked whereas if you had chosen another state you may have still been in the queue so they won't be happy. You'll have to tell them the whole story.

• Like 1

Gya, I am 100% with Crisplet on this one. You should contact them right away and explain yourself. Please do not tell them their system is wrong, rather take the blame for not doing the right thing Or you may well find yourself on your way back to the RSA. I guess the moral of the story is that this is Australia, they expect you to follow the rules and not make up your own, unlike RSA. Good luck, I hope it all comes right for you.

I see you asked the question already on the 2nd September, if you could work in another state... I hope for your sake that you can prove that you actually hunted for work in South Australia, before just deciding to accept the position in Melbourne. Big mistake on your part.....

GYA,

We received ACT state sponsorship 190 PR

Timeline as follows

Arrived ACT 16th Oct 2014

Looked for work and signed a lease on new place (Lease commencing 05 DEc 2014)

Realised I'm not getting work in the ACT

Opened us the search span for jobs australia wide

Flew to brissie for interview approx 10 Nov 2014

Back to ACT, discussed with ACT migration (settlement services)

They released me in writing immediately

Moved to north brissie/southern sunshine coast 17th Nov 2014

Started work 24th Nov 2014

The rest is history :-)

Important here to note:

I Could prove my intentions were to stay in the ACT as I had signed a lease!!!!

I Got out of the lease but point is I Could prove my intentions were GENUINE!

Also we would only move with permission in writing, I have proof in writing that our visa and or citizenship will not be affected down the line.

I Had No Issues and we are now free agents in Aus.

Trev

Hi Gya,

I would seriously come clean asap and go with hat in hand to Immi. If they crack the proverbial and cancel your visa your chances of ever setting foot in Aus are about the same as Zuma being honest. I fully understand your circumstances gave you little option, but in hindsight there are many on here who followed the same basic process below.

1: They showed geniune effort and INTENT to find work, kept the proof and this is a record of trying.

2: They can show this to Immi as proof that they tried and that the situation is dire.

3: Apply for release. I do not know of anyone who has been turned down following this process.

The main error is that you moved PRIOR to engaging Immi. I'm hoping you dont get the book thrown at you, SS violation is a serious affair.

i took 2 years of abuse from my former employer because i had my eye on the prize (PR).

You still have a chance to fix the situation I reckon, just get your story straight and be prepared for the possibility of getting caned. Just be humble about the whole thing. We are all here to help and I think the advice given here is pretty sound. Go get 'em!

I Agree with SurferMan,

You will probably get slapped with a "pap snoek" and be allowed to stay, and really I would take that klap any day of the week.....with a smile :-)

• Like 1

Gya what is your field of work that you struggled with in SA if I may ask?

Gya what is your field of work that you struggled with in SA if I may ask?

network engineering - it's in his first post.

network engineering - it's in his first post.

sorry I did see that and forgot by the end *oops* was asking in the hope of being able to help

• Like 1

We are in the same boat,our funds are running out,my hubby is an electrical engineer and we have been here for 4 months,he has applied for more than 100 jobs bt all he gets are regrets,so we want to move to western australia where he has contacts,bt we are not sure whether SA will agree coz of tge 2yrs condition

Rumbi, if you can prove that you looked but been unable to find work, then speak to the powers that be, the chances are they will release you from your commitment to go to Western Australia.

• Like 2

Rumbi,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hope you secure work. I am convinced they will release you. I am on my way back to Perth after being screwed over by an NZ company. That said, wow, it has some pretty places. Drove all the way around to the Lands End at Islands Bay. Very pretty.

• Like 1

Also wondering about Gya?

Rumbi I am sure they will release you. woul dyour partner be prepared to do FIFO and I can ask someone if he can advise who to apply to (just another contact point really)

SA has been a battle over recent years

• Like 1

Have not seen any posts from Gya... would also like to know! He did log on today, so he is still around, just quiet!

Sorry surferman abt nz,hope u are ok,thanks for the prayers I hope sa will release us. Spider my hubby is ok with fifo,even any job just to keep us going thanks

Rumbi did pm you to ask what jobs has he had or looking for specifically to help get an idea if have anyone in my network I can ask for you? if it will help pm me a cv

Hi people,
I appreciate your feedback and sorry for the late reply, it can get busy sometimes with 2 roles of a 24/7 nature. It's also cool to read post from experiences with people that have lived in the SA state like @Bob, @Spider .... Now this is what I have done. I have written to the SA Imm dep't explaining my circumstances and I await their response; made my employer aware of it. Should they insist that my presence is needed, I would need to forget about the Melbourne job for now. I have two jobs one of which is online/work from home for a large firm in USA. That means, I will settle for this one. However this creates another problem when it comes to taxes; not sure how it will works out for me.

thx

• Like 1

Would be great to hear the outcome and I hope its what you want

is there a FIFO option so you can spend some time in Melbourne and some here so a bit of a split based on need versus performing the job from hom

We went to dibp and they said u can move to another state,u just have to let sa govt know abt it no pr visa will be cancelled coz of that and they said it wont affect your citizenship

That's good news then. All is well that ends well. I was worried about you guys. I don't have work but at least I don't have the additional worry of SS visa rules. Good luck all of you job hunting out there.