Where to stay in OZ

vanSchoorFamily

I only land Monday am ?

Don't worry it looks awesome to hot early next week. ?

Get thermals!

Interestingly thermals are one thing we don't wear unless we are going to the snow. Way to warm unless you are standing in the cold. You can feel like you have heat stroke if you wear thermals indoors.

Don't worry it looks awesome to hot early next week. ?

Yah! I'm packing short sleeves!

It's not that bad.

I think Sunday is 22 degrees.

It's been cold at night (nowhere near as cold as we experienced in Joburg recently though) but that's the beauty of Melbourne, you don't feel the cold at night because just about every house has central heating!

Roll on summer!

Jippee sounds good! :D Where would you recommend buying some basic groceries when we land? Have to buy baby food and diapers, some fruit, maybe ham and buns. Coffee. sugar, milk. AUSTRALIAN SWEETS. Anything good? LOL. Its part of the adventure right? Do I look for a Seven eleven? Which general grocery store would be best. Feeling slightly clueless, just worried about the kids, don't want them to starve/moan/cry.

What time of day do you land Mel? And are you going to your accomodation by taxi?

Look out for Coles, Woolworths, Safeway - good, basic supermarkets. Coles has a fairly good website, so you can get a feel for what they stock and/or viable alternatives.

Be warned, some things do taste very different. I don't know how fussy your kids are, but would give my right arm (and possibly my left foot) for some county fair lite chicken nuggets.

Stay away from Timtams!!! They are sent by the devil to lead you down the path of temptation and blow both your budget and your waistline. Have yet to manage to keep a pack going longer than 24 hours.

But if you are having a bad day, they are sent by the angels to make things seem better.

MUST EAT EVIL COOKIES!!!

Were arriving at some stupid time like 6:15 at night, renting a car from the airport with a GPS. We have far to travel, staying at Eltham Gateway Hotel. My only stress is making sure my kids have dinner. Such bad timing. The hotel isn't really a hotel. No room service with foodies.

We actually struggled finding accommodation. Took 3 weeks of looking. Most we could just not afford. The affordable ones were a little depressing. We were denied by a few places - sorry no kids under 8 - which was not advertised on listings. Perhaps South African kids have a bad reputation? So ended up all the way up in Eltham. But oh well. Going with it :)

At least it's a nice area! Airport to Eltham should take you about 40 minutes. There are a number of Supermarkets in the area that will be open at night for you to get supplies. Plenty of restaurants and takeaways around as well.

There's also a Subway (sandwiches) and a petrol station more or less across the road. Surprised they don't have a restaurant though because it's a conference centre!

What day of the week do you arrive on?

Never heard of the no kids under 8 thing - that's bizarre?!

Edited by HansaPlease

Advert at Brisbane International Airport.

"Turn your small change into good Australian memories"

Written underneath a picture of caramel and double coat packs of TimTams. There shall always be TimTams in the HEOJJ house hold. :ilikeit:

Try the TimTam slam, fixes any and all emotional problems, especially those caused by immigration. Bite both ends off and slurp your coffee or hot chocolate through it. Yummy :P

Eltham looks to be absolutely gorgeous and have heard very nice things about, so although far out should be a nice place to start.

Landing is stressful. It can easily take over two hours to get out of the airport. Add to that driving in the dark in a foreign place and you will be under enormous pressure. If at all possible, try to budget on a takeaway from McDonalds or one of those places. You are going to need to cut some corners to retain your sanity. You are undertaking a massive task, so need to go easy on yourselves where possible.

That way, you can arrive, unpack, shower and go to bed. In the morning you can go looking for groceries, at your leisure.

Best of luck.

Can get Maccas as you drive out of the airport and onto the freeway. Fairly easy to get to Eltham from the airport so you should be fine. Enjoy the LSD, hopefully you have weather like today. Gorgeous day about 22 degrees, sun shining.

Thank you all!! 6 sleepies left :)

WANT EVIL COOOOKIES.

• Like 1

What about evil wine? If you drink white wine, try and buy a bottle of NZ wine, from the Marlborough region, absolutely to die for! Well that is my opinion!

Mel I hope it all goes very well for you. Hmmm Maccas after a long flight. Maybe you can organise a Coles delivery to your hotel room on the afternoon you arrive. Is there a fridge? Bread, milk, fruit, cereal, snack bars... Maybe the hotel owner will help you out?? Never know. Maybe if you sent an email expaining that you're getting off an International flight that evening with kids they will oblige by accepting the delivery into your room, as long as it's after checkin. Or maybe not but it may be worth asking. ? anyway you won't starve .

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

I do enjoy a nice glass of wine Mara. Evil cookies, evil wine. Sounds heavenly :) And thank you Bronwyn, another great idea. Yes, seems food won't be hard to hunt down! Finishing off my work in the next few days, will probably start packing early as the kids will more than likely "help" and unpack or over pack. So I'd have to repack when they sleep! CAN"T WAIT!!

The evil cookies also come in mini packs which help alleviate some of the guilt. I would suggest you start with classic original and work your way to the other flavours - it's a scientific approach

• Like 1

Wait until you discover the Gooey Caramel Chocolicious Bites. Now those are the embodiment of EVIL COOKIES. :ilikeit:

I would suggest though, that in the interests of scientific discovery of course, that you leave them for last because I fear that once you have tasted them, you may not want to move on :P

HEOJJ, you are leading us down the path of temptation!

Hang on, let me pack a bag. Have a feeling this will be a long and delicious journey.

• Like 1

I always find it very easy to think of an excuse to have a Marlborough glass of white and a Tim Tam bite, bite, bite, bite, oops, sorry, but that is generally how it goes!

The evil cookies also come in mini packs which help alleviate some of the guilt. I would suggest you start with classic original and work your way to the other flavours - it's a scientific approach

Only chewy caramel in the fridge is any good. New red velvet Adriano Zumbo not too shabby either.