Car seats for plane and in Aus

Splinky

Hi Debshodson :)

We flew in September with our 2 year old in his car seat and I would definitely recommend using one. Our little man slept for most of the flight and was comfortable and happy. It is a bit of a mission though. Firstly, the car seat must be approved for use in a plane and you need a letter from the manufacturer stating so (we obtained this from Britax with no problem within a day). You also need to phone the airline and inform them that you intend to use a car seat. We used our seat in Aus for about a week before we bought a Safe n Sound here. Try to book a direct night flight if possible- definitely helps!

We haven't left yet... still debating what to do on the car seat front. For those who landed without a car seat for you little ones what did you do for the first few trips?

Tazzn where do you plan on going and maybe rent one (red cross do this) or borrow one?

If you come to Adelaide I have a few to choose from lol and all no problems (just have a few due to having one for her dad, one for me and my partners cars each)

I would reach out to borrow one or rent until you ready to buy. upon landing though etc its not an issue as you just arrived etc which you can show

Thanks Spider. Plans at the moment are to go over around middle of next year. So we still have time to figure this whole thing out. Unless something changes between now and then we will be heading to Brisbane and maybe Gold Coast

I've got 3yr old twins and a 6yr old and was wondering about the trip from the airport to our new home (sister-in-laws) and not having car seats yet. It would be the first thing we would go out and buy but it is something I would rather choose myself than get my sister-in-law to buy beforehand. Any suggestions in regards to not having car seats for the trip from the airport? What did everyone else do with small kids?

hi splinky

have decided its probably in everyone's best interests to use the car seat in the plane :sleep1:

but I am having such a time trying to get hold of the manufacturer to get that letter! :boxing:

• 4 weeks later...

There are flip open cots for the moms with babes, just ask for a seat near one. Well on Qantas anyway. :)

I am soooo glad I didn't take my 3 year olds seat. We got one here for cheap and it is Aussie standards. New from Kmart we paid $80

Not too bad I think!

Cant imagine having to walk with that thing too. Plus the carhire companies have one if you ask for it. You pay a little extra but it is worth it.