At beginning stages of this journey.......

EmNew

I've been advised to start thinking of purchasing property in Oz ? Thoughts on this ?

Your chances of making a mistake are too big. Rent for at least 6 months first imho.

• Like 1

The shack/house in the article is in the most amazing spot you can imagine. A buiding job for the brave, though.

We moved into our house 1 June last year. Bumped into our estate agent a few days ago. He reckons the market has gone bannanas and if we had to buy this house again, in the current market, it would sell for 250k more. Doesnt bother me too much, as this is my final address ever.

Just spoke to Migrate2Oz about it too - we will just have to pray that they can proceed with business as normal next week. Apparently it's a standard review , and unfortunately it may impact us.

EmNew, Just received this email from Denise at Language Lab CT:

Good day,

It is my unfortunate duty to have to report back to you that we are no longer running the IELTS tests in South Africa on behalf of IELTS Australia.

We received word of this today, and unfortunately I have no choice but to cancel all upcoming tests with immediate effect.

I am aware of the huge inconvenience that this will cause, but it is completely out of our hands and we have no say in the matter.

Please send me your banking details, and I will arrange for a refund to be effected with all due haste.

Once again, my sincerest apologies for this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require further clarification.

Regards,

Matthew Bailey

IELTS Supervisor

CAMBRIDGE ESOL Center Exam Manager

IELTS

IELTS Online Applications:

IELTS Online Results:

International House-Language Lab

54 De Korte Street

Braamfontein, Johannesburg

South Africa

Telephone: +27 11 339 2484

Fax: 086 552 5007

Did Migrate 2 Oz say if we could book with the British Council? I have no idea how we need to go about IELTS now :unsure:

Hi Chantalgr,

Unfortunately I was snowed under with work, so only saw this now that all is closed for the week. I was informed by Mirgrate2oz that the British Council is the only option for us Capetonians, but that their service levels are notoriously bad ( not sure if we can have a worse experience with them vs Language Lab though ;) )

I did send off an email to our agent, and hopefully will get a response on Monday.

As you so wisely said upfront - not in our hands. Perhaps we will all benefit from the delay as per a bigger plan :)

• Like 1

A friend sent me this link:

http://www.taylormadeimmigration.com/EnglishTest

From November ( probably when we would get a British Council booking anyway ), new tests will be available. I will follow up with Migrate2Oz about them as options.

:magic: perhaps a rabbit will get pulled out the hat after all :D

• Like 1

Decided to just go ahead and book online with British Council for the 18 October test. At least then it's only one more month of waiting, so that I can at least get my skills assessment application handed in November ( hopefully ). The IELTS is the only outstanding item for that, so I don't want to delay it further.

The online form did state that there was availability for that date - worth a try to get that date for all others affected by the 20th Sept cancellation via Language Lab here in Cape Town?

I feel for anyone who had perhaps made travel/accommodation arrangements from outlying areas for next week's test :(

• Like 1

Strongly considering booking for the 18th too. Did you pay via credit card or eft? Can you remember what options they gave you?

Hi Chantal gr - I did the c/c payment. There was an EFT option too, and then you email them the proof when you get your booking confirmation email, and your proof of id if you didn't already load it in your online booking application.

You need a form of id that has your signature , and only my new biometric passport has that ( unless newer SA Id's has that too? )

• Like 1

I have booked for the 18th for us too. I used our old passports as our ID's are still the old green books and not the new ID card which I think has your signature on.

The older passports have your signature across the bottom of the picture, that is all I have so I guess they have to take it like that. Our passports are still valid till 2017 and we only plan on getting new one's closer to the time we leave SA.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi EmNew

I just wanted to ask if you have you received your refund yet from Language Lab?

I spoke to Denise last week via email and she told me there are lots to process and it could take 3 working days.

Now a week later my husband phoned the Jhb branch and spoke to Matthew who said they are doing it today.

I feel like they are being very vague and not even checking or confirming our details -_-

Hi - no, nothing to date. Actually just read the email from fellow 'victims' - replied with the email response I received.

I am just glad that I decided to book the British Council test immediately - I read that JHB is now fully booked for the rest of the year! We can be thankful of something at least :)

This application process is truly a lesson in patience and trust!

Indeed it is a lesson in patience and trust. It is also a rough emotional roller coaster ride.

One day at a time ....... each day has its own troubles.

Hi - my refund is in my account - hopefully everyone else's is too :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

EmNew, It was lovely meeting you yesterday. It was nice to put a face to your name.

Here's to good IELTS results and a blessed journey ahead for us :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Hi Chantal ,

You beat me to it

It was most fortuitous to meet up in the queue. I hope that all went well for both you and your husband yesterday.

Also hoping for the results that all of us that wrote ( was surprised at how many ! ) need for our varying requirements.

Edited by EmNew

Hi Emma,

Fortuitous indeed :)

I too was surprised by the amount of people there were taking the test.

During the registration process I heard from the queue that the one lady was from Johannesburg.

I guess now we wait.... 2 days down, 11 more to go..

• 4 weeks later...

Starting to move a little beyond the beginning stages at last. November seems to be a month of action and results.

- ICAA skills assessment handed in , and the 6-8 weeks' wait begins

- After almost 90 days, the unabridged certificates finally arrive from Home Affairs

Feeling positive about 2015's prospects for us :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, we are looking at an agency called Immagine Immigration. Their fees are quite a lot. What is the agency fees for Migrate2Oz like? We are also at the start of our process

Hi Nicole86,

I would suggest that you contact Migrate2Oz for a free , no-obligation quotation. Each case and visa type is different so I don't think advising you what my costs are for instance will be a good indication of what your specific fees will be. The most important thing to do is to ensure whoever you decide to use is MARA registered ( which M2O is ), as it will be a fair amount of money to lose to any agency, should they turn out to be less than legit!

All the best with your process. Nice to see another person from the Western Cape on the forum :D

Second EmNew - MARA Reg is an absolute must. Read the recommendations of people on the forum. Several have used M2O, there are also several fab agents who are members of the forum. A reliable agency will give you a fair assessment as to your chances, they are upfront as to all the charges and when these are due and you will be able to get independent recommendations.