Afrikaans Language Classes for Aussies

Riekie

Hi, I thought I'd share this information. My Aussie daugher-in-law is taking English classes from a retired Afrikaans teacher and she cannot speak more highly of her! She does it over Skype and if I think it is a hour lesson a week - with homework to practice. My daughter-in-law can follow all our conversations and can have a decent conversation in Afrikaans. She still struggles with pronounciation and our back-to-front word order, but she is doing absolutely great! I record words for her and she practice it in the car while driving to work. She is really making an awesome effort! Anyway, this is the details of the person: Anchel Stapelberg astapelberg@yahoo.com or phone 0425 697 744 - I think she is in Brisbane and I have no idea how much she charge per lesson.

• Like 2

Awesome that she wants to be able to communicate in her hubby's home language. :ilikeit:

She is absolute GOLD! They're expecting a little baby (the 1st Aussie born in our family!!) and she is adamant that their kids will be fully bilingual, retaining our heritage & language.

• Like 3

She is absolute GOLD! They're expecting a little baby (the 1st Aussie born in our family!!) and she is adamant that their kids will be fully bilingual, retaining our heritage & language.

Congrats Riekie that's fantastic news ???

• Like 1

That's such a nice story! Congrats Riekie!!

It's funny how things work out. We homeschooled our daughters and, coming from Durbs, opted for the eldest to do Mandarin instead of Afrikaans. We come to Perth and now she's engaged to an absolute gem of an Afrikaans lad who fortunately doesn't mind the girl from South Africa who can't speak his language but isn't too bad at Mandarin ... :blush:

And we thought we were being clever ....

• Like 2

That's such a nice story! Congrats Riekie!!

It's funny how things work out. We homeschooled our daughters and, coming from Durbs, opted for the eldest to do Mandarin instead of Afrikaans. We come to Perth and now she's engaged to an absolute gem of an Afrikaans lad who fortunately doesn't mind the girl from South Africa who can't speak his language but isn't too bad at Mandarin ... :blush:

And we thought we were being clever ....

I have Australian born Chinese friends who cant speak any Mandarin, because their parents thought they were doing the best for their kids by only speaking English to them since birth. Now kicking themselves as their could have used this to their advantage career wise.

And you never know when Afrikaans will come in handy. My daughter is in Year 7 and as she is in a Lutheran high school she could choose German as her chosen subject. As she spoke only Afrikaans until she was five she is an absolute ace in it as there are quite a few similarities. And she loves it.

Although she really cracks me up - when she does her German homework she speaks English in a German accent, hilarious! :P

• Like 1