Relocating to the Northern Terittory

Sanandduds

Hi there

We are waiting for our visa grant to live and work in the Northern Territory. Are there any South Africans who have settled in Darwin or Katherine?

regards

Sands

• 7 months later...

Sanandduds

Hi there! I have seen on a different post that you went for your LSD trip recently. Please let me know what you think about darwin. If al goes well we will also be heading that way. What line of work are you doing? I am very curious!!! Please let me know x

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious too - we are hopefully headed that way early next year.

X

LisaActually

Great to know that some others are also going to NT. How far are you in the process? do you also need state sponsorship?

Hi Lenista

We have applied for the Visa and gotten a case officer and submitted all our docs except my medical ( and our USA/FBI clearance but thats another issue) - but I am now pregnant so I can only go for my medical after the baby is born in September. So everything is put on hold a little until about this. So we are quite far in the process.

How is yours going?

We loved Darwin. The weather can be a bit annoying, hot and sticky, but otherwise it was lovely. To us Darwin is like a city with a country feeling.

LisaActually

I will submitting EOI this week. Still busy finalising the documents ( motivations etc). How long did you wait from EOI until a case officer was assigned to you? And lastly if a case officer is assigned how long till I have to submit medicals?

So many questions!

Bbop tx for your input- i am hopeful that I will adapt to the weather conditions!

Hi Lenista

We lodged the State Sponsorship Request on the 6th Of November 2014, We Received the State Nomination on the 25 of November 2014, We were then Invited to Apply for our Visa on the 8th of December 2014, We lodged on the 12 of December 2014. We received our case officer on the 21st of January.

Once you get a case officer you have 30 days I think to supply all docs. But I wouldn't wait until a case officer is assigned to get these maybe 2 weeks before you think you are going to be assigned a case officer start applying for police clearance and medicals (not sure if you can do the medical before but I think you can) This is my experience - if we had done it before we would possibly have the visa by now, now I have to wait until September to complete the Visa APP.

This shows allocation dates of case officers - so you should get an idea of when you may be assigned one

So all went VERY quickly.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Just a heads up, we were also expecting when my wife needed to go for her Xrays for the medical and our OBGYN said that a chest xray exposes you to the same radiation as an international flight, you also get mostly covered with a lead blanket which you don't get on an international flight so it would affect the kid even less.

The same rule of don't fly early in pregnancy applies to the XRays, but there is no problem with getting them later in the pregnancy... same as flying.....

If you need more info let me know and i can get the specifics

Hi Nev

Thanks so much for the message, I really appreciate it.

I read the same thing online when I found out, but my gynae has recommend against it unless medically necessary. And as we can't feasibly move till after the baby is born and then we would either need to get it a new visa or add it on to ours it makes sense to leave the visa till then (as we have been granted the extension) and add the baby to the visa.

Lisa

Happy to help :D

• 2 weeks later...

Nev and lisa

What is up with our conversation group? Now i am also pregnant!!! Be aware anyone else who wants to start chating on this post.....?

We have tried for so long!!! We have actually forgot we are trying... Due date 1 january!!! Nev if you can send me some detail about the medical and xrays I will appreciate!

Hi Lenista

HUGE CONGRATS on the Pregnancy!

We were also trying for a while!

Hows the application progressing?

Sorry for the very late answer on the container - no we have not looked into that yet.

Congratz, great stuff.

I will chat to my wife tonight to get a reminder and post the details

So, anything after the first trimester is fine, you will need to fill in a form when you are there stating that you know you are pregnant and want it done anyway, but they have to let you.

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa

With the extension you received for the medicals does it mean your activation date is also extended? Or is it still date of PC or medicals which ever is first?

Hi Lenista

Sorry for the Delay - Work has been hectic!

We were given extension on MY medical only. so we still had to provide everything else as our normal dates. I understand my agent thought this was unusual and expected an extension for all.

My understanding is that the activation date is based on the police clearance - so we will have very little time from grant to activation. (October to January by my calculations)

I might try and get a new Police clearance closer to the time so that we can ASK for a later activation date.

hope this helps!

how is your visa application coming.

• 4 months later...

Hi Lenista

How are you doing? Are you still going ahead with the visa and move to Darwin? Hows the pregnancy?

Our Little one is now 6 weeks and we have completed all docs for the visa and are just waiting to hear back from the case officer - any day now hopefully :)

X

Lisa