Unisa studies

Cole

Hi folks,

My family and I are at the beginning stages of applying for a move to Oz. I'm almost half way with a Unisa BCom in Business Management, and before I focus more time and effort into completion, I'd appreciate your views on whether Unisa degrees are worth completing (with a view to being recognised for the Australian job market), or whether it's better to hang tight until I get there, and then finish with an Australian correspondence degree (which would mean putting studies on hold for now, and finishing much later than I would've, and probably being more expensive)?

I'm considering pushing through to the finish as quickly as possible while still in SA, in the hopes of being more or less finished before we come over (and hopefully being more employable even if I'm not completely finished); however I don't want to push through to the end if it's not going to be recognised/having to redo half the subjects when I get there. Many thanks in advance.

There is a formite on here, called Naomi Warr, and she is just over half way with her Unisa BCom. She lives in Sydney. You might get some specific answers from her.

Weddingtog will you arrive with PR? For me that would be the deciding factor because if you arrive with PR you pay just a little bit more than Australians. But you do not qualify for HECS until you are a citizen, so forget about HECS.

So if you come with PR you will need to be able to fund your studies upfront (about $1200 per BCom type subject and about $750 per BA type subject).

If you are not coming with PR you will be classed as an International Student, and the fees are astronomical imho. Better to finish what you started with Unisa.

So will depend whether you have PR or a temporary visa.

You can have a look at a few distance unis websites. They call it RPL or 'recognition of prior learning' if you want the units you have done so far to be assessed. I am with Southern Cross Uni. There is also Open Universities and CSU, to give you a few examples. You can go & read up on their RPL policies via their websites.

You might be able to send off a few emails just to get a feel for it. I would also not like to waste my time studying something that I won't get credit for!

In Aus we call it 'distance learning' not 'correspondence' if that helps :)

Thanks so much rozellem, I'll give Naomi a shout and see what she says.

Thanks Bronwyn&Co, yes we will arrive with PR. I'm hoping that I can get through most of the course before we come, and worst-case only have a couple of subjects left...it seems one loses patience with staying in SA unnecessarily once the decision has been made to migrate, I suspect visas will be approved before I complete my degree but if it seems better to hold off moving for an extra 6 months to make sure it's all done and dusted, then so be it I guess. Thanks so much for the suggestions on distance learning institutions, definitely some good ideas there! :-)

Weddingtog, honestly if I was to study (certain courses) I would do them via UNISA.

If there is nothing specific to Australia in your course (e.g. you are studying IT, business management, etc..) then it really doesn't matter where you study. You can even have your degree assessed as equivalent to an Aussie degree and you are all set for probably a 1/4 of what it would cost to study it in Aus.

An Aussie degree could cost tens of thousands more... you are never going to earn tens of thousands more simply because you have an Aussie degree and not an equivalent South African one.

Ah super Monsta, that makes perfect sense and puts me at ease. I'm very concerned about the cost of study there but want to make sure I go over with something they regard as legitimate. Thanks so much everyone, I'm so glad this forum exists!

• Like 1