457 visa to PR

vanSchoorFamily

Hi There,

Is there anyone here that went over with a 457 and applied for a PR when they got there?

How exactly can one go about it?

Is there any Snags that we need to know about? :glare:

Hi vanschoor,

Im a past master, been through the mill 3 times before I got this far, lodgement. PM me.

surferman

I don't quite understand what you mean? :blush:

@vanschoor

I've come to Aus on 457 and moved over to PR, as I'm sure lots of other people on this forum did.

It's not really all that complicated. I've heard of lots of people paying consultants to lodge on their behalf (quite an expensive process), but we did it by ourselves successfully without any headaches. The immi.gov.au website is quite informative and useful in that regard.

The only thing in my experience, is don't wait too long before submitting for PR. Reason is, the job category I came over for on my 457 was not on the Skills shortage list anymore when I wanted to apply for PR. In my line of work, luckily for me, I could apply under another category.

• Like 1

That's good to hear CWmacs ...

mind me asking/ How quick can we apply and visa cat did you use to do that?

Hi Vanschoor

I have just completed this process. You need to work for the employer for two years before you can apply for PR. My PR application took 4 months to be processed. I could have received it sooner, but I was waiting for my Police clearance. If your vocation is on the long term shortages list you can apply using that avenue while employed on the 457 visa. You just need to have your qualifications Assessed by VETASSESS which takes about 4 months. The process is pretty simple. The PR application costs $1780 for each person over 18yrs old and half price for minors. (This could have gone up in July 2014) and an immigration agent will charge $4000 upwards.

Bear in mind that if the market changes while you are on the 457 visa, you could be the first to be retrenched.

I learnt from personal experience that the less people know you are on a 457 visa, the better for you. I have had some bad experiences with colleagues who knew I was on a 457 visa. There seemed to be the attitude that I was taking jobs from Aussies. This is my own experience naturally.

I hope this info is of assistance to you

As far as I know (please someone correct me if I'm wrong) there is no time limit of need to be in the country for x amount of time on a 457 before you can apply for PR.

That being said, I only started the process about a year after we arrived - no particular reason, just never got around to it.

The big ting is getting the checklist from immi.gov.au site and making sure you have everything (police clearance, ietls, etc.) and then applying.

I was lucky enough to be able to apply and get the Subclass 189 (Skilled Independent) visa.

Hi Vanschoor

I have just completed this process. You need to work for the employer for two years before you can apply for PR. My PR application took 4 months to be processed. I could have received it sooner, but I was waiting for my Police clearance. If your vocation is on the long term shortages list you can apply using that avenue while employed on the 457 visa. You just need to have your qualifications Assessed by VETASSESS which takes about 4 months. The process is pretty simple. The PR application costs $1780 for each person over 18yrs old and half price for minors. (This could have gone up in July 2014) and an immigration agent will charge $4000 upwards.
Bear in mind that if the market changes while you are on the 457 visa, you could be the first to be retrenched.

I learnt from personal experience that the less people know you are on a 457 visa, the better for you. I have had some bad experiences with colleagues who knew I was on a 457 visa. There seemed to be the attitude that I was taking jobs from Aussies. This is my own experience naturally.

I hope this info is of assistance to you

@Rosdan

I think the two years waiting period is dependent on the visa subclass you are applying for.

Edited by CWmacs

Thank you for all your information.

But, we are doing the IELTS before we go as well as the Vetassess ... do you mean to tell me that you have to do it again?

IETLS as far as I know is only valid for a certain period (a year or two?). It must still be valid before you submit all your documents.

No worries though, there are many places you can do it in Aus (if you need to do it again).

From memory, the things that took longest are police clearance (first time was quick because in SA back then we got priority 'cause I had a job offer for the 457) and skills assessment.

Rosdan you don't need to be with your employer two years before you apply for a 186 ENS. This is the Direct Entry Stream. You refer to the Transition Stream, which has other criteria, but waives others, like skills assessment. Perhaps a little further reading before posting...smiley. :)

Vanshoor do a search for 186 and will help you a lot. There are three 186 ENS options, which you can find on the Immi site. Loads of help available under the Application section.

Happy to help if you need it. I been through the mill on 186....:)

Here is the link that tells you of the three streams to which I was referring. From what I can glean vanschoor you are looking at what is known as the Direct Entry Stream, which has higher threshold criteria than the Transition Stream, but is also probably the quickest way into PR, given you already have a 457 in the offing. Go for it!!!

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/186.aspx

Correction: the waiting period is dependent on the employer. My employer (like many) will only sponsor after the two year period for the transition stream so this is worth clarifying if you are close to 50 which is the cut off age

Edited by Rosdan

Just to be 100% clear.

Direct entry....used when you have either worked less than two years for ONE employer, skills assessment required,

Transition entry.....used when you have worked two or more years for ONE employer, skills assessment is waived

Labour agreement, per the rules.

The only timing an employer can put on someone is via their contract, for eg as Rosdan says, " we undertake to sponsor xxx after two years unbroken service in position xxx, for PR." But they cannot choose a stream outside of Immi laws. Some companies undertake (although rare) to sponsor someone from day one of starting, such as was my case.