Employment Canberra - Anyone have any leads?

KalahariHarry

Hi All,

Looking for work in Canberra, From Repping to Management/Account Management/Sales/Assistant management/Junior Project management. Willing to start at the bottom if I have to but something with advancement/growth opportunities would be great.

Landing 16th Oct 2014 and have PR, any info appreciated.
I Hold a Bcom in Marketing and Business Management.
CV upon Request.
Please if any of you have any contacts, use them

Trevor

Send me your resume please Trev....although Im on Industrial, there is a business support desk as well as perm placements that look after clients who wants managers, project managers, sales reps etc. I can forward it to them

• 7 months later...

How've you guys found the CBR job market? My wife's had a rough time getting even an interview - after probably 30 applications.

She has a BCOM in Industrial Psychology and HR Management, with an impressive internship consultancy under her belt - and has been applying for junior HR, and admin / reception positions without even a interview. She's now trying to casual sales assistants.

Think it's the "African" qualification? (she's now doing a CIT shortcourse on MYOB and getting her degree assessed by Canberra Connect when it arrives)

Hi Jasper,

I Too struggled in Canberra for 2-3 weeks - then landed a great job on sunshine coast.

Whatever quals you have - here no one cares in RSA being qualified is rare, here it is normal, they tend to care about your attitude and aussie work exp.

Once you secure work, if you prove yourself you will climb the ranks quickly.

trev

Hi Jasper

I have found my qualifications were fine...I think it has more to do with your resume format and your ozzie experience

to this end, as soon as we landed I volunteered at communities at work (granted I knew someone there who helped me get in) but the premise is that I volunteered in their HR section so that i could put that on my resume, and apart from the word "volunteer" the rest looked like normal work experience as in i listed the duties i did, the division I worked in etc

the fact that i could put this ozzie experience, even if it only was volunteering, on my resume helped tremendously. But even with this i still applied for more than 60 jobs before I got 2 good interviews, and I got these 2 interviews immediately after I had my resume formatted. Its expensive but worth it

now that i have almost a year of ozzie experience finding another job is no problem. I applied at the australian national university for a job and was the preferred candidate, even though they had an internal candidate, who came second. So the playing field was level I think

they dont put as much emphasis as we do on qualifications though and much more on experience. It makes sense but it is a little disappointing if you spent a decade studying :)

good luck, there are jobs out there, you just have to keep on applying. i got quite proud of the number of applications I put in. I meticulously saved every one with the job advert copied and pasted to that I could remember in case they phoned me. I still have all of them and it's a reminder of how hard we work to get what we want :)

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 1

The qualifications vs experience does seem to be very much the case. I had very little trouble finding work, and subsequently my wife has found a job too!

One thing we have found, as we'd heard as well - it's all about connections versus applying for jobs on Seek etc.

It's still very valuable applying for jobs and getting out there, but making personal connections has been the way we have now both found work. So I can definitely give that advice for new arrivals. Get out there, meet people, and make connections - you never know what'll come out of it.

• Like 1