Earthquake SA

Mel-B

Scary experience - def. a first for me. Felt tremors for quite some time, in Magalieskruin, Pretoria. Now I hear from friends in Bloemfontein, Joburg and Durban that they also felt it. YIKES! A few tiles cracked. Hope it doesn't happen again.

That is scary, maybe a mine blast gone wrong. Anything in the news?

http://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=c69ba21bfae5b8ce&hl=en&gl=au&source=web

Initial tweets state the the epicenter of the quake was around the Orkney area and measured about 5.3 on the Richter Scale (US Geological Survey). We will wait for the official statement. It was certainly one of the more significant tremmors I have felt in Johannesburg...

Edited by Rhino1

Got them fairly regularly in Welkom, usually around the 4 mark. That was scary enough! A 5.2 would have me positively pooing in my pants :blush:

Yip, I'm in Sandton and we felt it quite strongly. Several aftershocks too!

Apparently Massmart evacuated their building....

Have family that felt it in Durban, Bloemfontein, Pretoria and Joburg. Scary stuff. I really feel for people that have worse ones :(

Whaaaat? Often told my kids 'There are lots of problems in SA but still the best weather in the world and no earthquakes' ? scary.

• Like 2

They are going to have to launch another probe to determine "what is the cause of this earthquake?"

#NomsaDube

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Dube-calls-for-lightning-probe-20110103

I know it's no laughing matter and my sympathies go out to those who where injured (and I hear there is 1 confirmed death).

There are lots of political jokes going around on facebook. I must say it does elicit a giggle from me :) But yes we are just lucky it wasn't worse.