State jobs while on PR

Tazzn

In my field quite a few jobs I am finding are working for the state (what I'd call "government" jobs). Is a person with PR allowed to for the state?

I think government jobs are reserved for citizens unfortunately. It would be interesting to hear from one of the pros.

There are certain govt departments where people with PR can apply. Eg education, health. Depts like army and police and DFAT and IT would require at least baseline clearance so only citizens there but search a little, they are there

Happened to check police today for a friend. AFP and federal agencies require citizenship, but state police (Victoria) only require PR. So you may find state agencies are a bit more relaxed.

PR also seems fine for City Council jobs. I had a skype interview recently with a City Council and my 190 Visa was fine. They just require a police clearance that must be renewed every three years.

Okay, suppose won't kill to ask when we have the VISA and I start applying. Dpt would be Agriculture

Citizenship is often a requirement for sensitive Federal gov roles. You couldn't have someone on PR heading up Australia's spy agency.

I heard of someone's citizenship being fast tracked because they were joining the army, so maybe a good plan! In fact if memory serves me correctly the whole family got it early.

That is true Eva. Some years ago the Army did a recruitment drive and brought families over on a 457. Three months later, their initial period done, their citizenship was bestowed on them so that the visa holder could legitimately serve in the military. Would not surprise me if it still happens.

I'm a permanent resident (190) and a work for a state agency. So I think it's more federal than state and local council that you would need citizenship.