The start of my journey

eitai2001

Hi guys.

I discovered this forum just yesterday, and have already found a wealth of information, and decided to join, to learn, ask questions, contribute if I can, and become part of the community.

My name is Itai, I'm a 27 year old single young professional (why does this feel like a dating profile!? ;) )from Johannesburg and planning a move to Melbourne. I'm a chartered accountant, And managed to secure myself a 189 PR visa in April. I will be joining the ranks if the Aussies as of 2 September 2014 :)

Luckily for me, my sister has lived in Melbourne for 12 years already, so I at least have some family there, and I will be staying with her until I get my first pay check, when I will look to move out on my own (or possibly house share).

I'm moving to Australia without a job prospect at the moment, though I'm sending out applications everywhere. (I have contacted the resume company that everyone here swears by to get my cv remade as my callbacks right now are pisspoor!) I probably could relatively easily get a job as an auditor at the Aus branch of my previous audit firm, but it want to try steer clear of audit because I really dislike the position. (I'm actually trying to move into something related to online and digital, such as ecommerce, product management, etc because that is what I love ... But it will be a difficult move as it is not what I studied).

Regarding my visa, I applied using the External Auditor skill requirement for the 189 visa, and having the ICAA verify my SAICA membership as suitable for the skill. My application process was pretty quick and streamlined ... I immediately uploaded all the necessary documents for the visa as soon as I applied so that the case officer wouldn't need anything. I got my successful visa within a total of 4 weeks (29 days) of lodging the actual application (EOI was instant) ... I couldn't believe it! It probably would have been a week sooner, but the case officer had 2 queries on my submitted documents which were resolved with a quick email

I look forward to participating in the forum as often as I can :)

Have a good day.

Regards

Itai Etzman

Edited by eitai2001
  • Like 4

Hey there Itai welcome to the forum family and congrats on getting a visa grant so quickly. I think that must be a forum record.

Not having a job prospect at your age is definitely not a problem. You are young and have a long bright future ahead of you. Work hard and you will be able to accomplish anything.

Look forward to reading more of your adventure.

Welcome and happy landings!

Wecome and congrats on the quick visa.

Hey there Itai welcome to the forum family and congrats on getting a visa grant so quickly. I think that must be a forum record.

Not having a job prospect at your age is definitely not a problem. You are young and have a long bright future ahead of you. Work hard and you will be able to accomplish anything.

Look forward to reading more of your adventure.

Thanks very much. After you mentioned the potential record, I counted the actual days ... Turns out it was 4 weeks and a day, so I updated ... Just in case I accidentally stole someone's thunder :P

Yeah, I'm not too worried about getting a job eventually, but I need to get one soon as I don't have much money to get me started ... At least rent and some food will be free until I get. My first paycheck and move out ...the wonders of having family there :D

• Like 1

Hi!

Welcome! You're so lucky to have gotten your visa so quickly and to have a sought-after career... Good luck with the rest of the planning and looking forward to you posts about Melbourne!

Thanks very much :)

I've done plenty of planning already, well as much as one can do before getting there anyway.

I'm pretty sure I could write a dissertation on the comparison of various bank accounts and various mobile phone offerings!

I do already know that I plan to sign up with both ING Direct for day to day banking and Citybank for when I travel overseas. And will take out a month to month Vodafone Red $50 package :)

• Like 1

. And will take out a month to month Vodafone Red $50 package :)

lol :) and then realise that choice of mobile provider has nothing to do with price in Australia but rather with coverage. Trust me! I dont choose to pay Telkom $78 a month because I want to. :)

lol :) and then realise that choice of mobile provider has nothing to do with price in Australia but rather with coverage. Trust me! I dont choose to pay Telkom $78 a month because I want to. :)

Yeah, I've heard Vodafone isn't the greatest coverage outside of Melbourne, but apparently within Melbourne it's ok. But that's why I'm taking a month-to-month and not a contract ... worst case scenario, provider and I part ways ;)

The main attraction for Vodafone for me is the unlimited calls, unlimited sms's (including international sms's), 3GB data and 300 minutes to phone anywhere overseas including SA :) ... And Vodafone was ranked as having the fastest 4G in Melbourne where it is available (+-30Mbit down vs Optus +-12Mbit down).

I took a chance with Cell C's crappy network here in SA and was happy, so I'll give Vodafone a chance there ... their actual package fits me the best :)

Our whole family is on Voda with free Voda-to-voda calls. I'm only on the $35 pay as you go plan but we do have wifi in the house. I've never gone over.

Eita that sounds pretty good. We have a TPG package for $89 which includes unlimited calls to SA and all our home wifi.

Voda coverage outside of the cities isn't great, as you guys say.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Thanks Bronwyn. Yeah, I'm looking at the one with unlimited calls to all Aus numbers, cause my sister and I'm sure my friends there won't have Vodafone.

How is the signal?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have contacted the resume company that everyone here swears by to get my cv remade as my callbacks right now are pisspoor!) I probably could relatively easily get a job as an auditor at the Aus branch of my previous audit firm, but it want to try steer clear of audit because I really dislike the position.

Hi Eitai, welcome! We are in the process like you! Just wanted to ask which resume company you are using??

Thanks a lot!

Stephen

Yay! Another one for Melbourne! (I cheer all the prospective Melbournians on. We're leaving next year middle May.)

Guys you may not have realised but you are answering a post that was posted a year ago by eitai2001!

I realise that Mara, thought he might still be on the forum!

Hi StephenR, not a problem then, just to let you know he was last on the forum in June this year.

Hahaha... oh dear... how does that happen?

I noticed something strange about the date inside one of the posts, but lots of people type the wrong year for their landing date, so I ignored it.