Renting In Sydney - Ouch

Rangerbob

Kanniewagnie,

If you have a school already then your options are rather limited. Most schools have a long waiting list and it's tough to get in to your first pick, esp. if the school has a reputation as being a good school. The only way to guarantee it is to make sure you fall in the school zoning district, which you can get from the school if you can't already find it on their website.

The problem is properties in the near vicinity are hard to come by and normally more expensive. In our case the properties near the school we are aiming to send our son to are around $800-$1000 a week, but just 3-4 roads over they are $650-$800 for the same thing, you pay a premium to get in there. But once you are in the school you can move around a bit and be more flexible with where you are located.

I'm not quite sure I'd call North CBD, it's North of the CBD, and yes, Macquarie Park is where the heavy IT companies are: Microsoft, Oracle, Nortel Networks and electronic companies like Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba etc. So if you going to be there then your best bet are closer suburbs like North Ryde, Lane Cove etc, which are typically cheaper than inner city suburbs like Paddington, Surry Hills, Redfern etc.

We've settled on Surry Hills, it's 20 minutes for my wife to walk to work, has a great school in Bourke Street Primary, we've heard good things, chatted to the headmaster over e-mails and my sister-in-law also visited all the local schools and confirmed our suspicions it's the best school for our son and family.

That said, we started off looking at North Ryde, Lane Cove, but decided to be closer to my wife's place of business and in the city center, a change and adventure from our suburb life.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

Kanniewagnie, there is a forum member called Beebop24 that used to have short term accommodation at her house in Davidson. Sounded like a nice granny flat type. Ask her if it is still doing it. My son is starting school next year so we have researched this, and I can only talk about our area, but they literally all have great reputations. It then just comes down to picking the one closer to your house. We are on the Frenchs Forest/Belrose border. But Forestville/Killarney Hights are great places with brilliant state schools too. Killarney Hights even have a great state high school that people (including South Africans :whome: ) rave about. Davidson (mentioned above) also have a good state high school. My 14 year old neighbour goes there and her parents are very happy with it. Even the girls best friend is South African, as there are many of them in the school. There are loads of buses from us into the CBD and to Chatswood. My husband takes a scooter in and its 30mins from door to desk for him. He has always worked in the actual CBD, probably because he is in IT, but with banks. He does zip out to Homebush a few times a week to their other (more technical) site there. That doesnt take him much longer.

Just remember to think of every penny you spend, especially initially. Rule of thumb, (state) school going kids are much cheaper than pre school kids in day care. With my son going to school next year and his brother moving from family daycare to pre school, I think we will save roughly $10k per year. I am very excited about that. I noticed in RSA kids go to pre school every day of the week. Here that is not the norm. They go two days at 3yrs and 3 days at 4yrs, unless both parents work full time and want to fork out for that level of care. Moving in my circle among people with pre school kids, it is definitely in the minority. You have to be a good earner to make that calculation work, especially in Sydney. If you arrive from RSA assuming things work the same as back home, you might find your finances unravelling much quicker than expected. With small kids, rather start with no care, or minimal care and up it as you go. There is however tons of free/virtually free things to do with pre school kids, probably because of so many parents working part time and looking for things to do with the kids in the week. I have heard from South African parents that it can be a bit of a shock being with your kids full time when you have been used to a nanny from birth and daily care. Here there are all sorts of other types of care. I used to send my son, when he was one, to Occasional Care one day a week. Its a casual daycare centre, who you ring a few days before. So it takes a bit of a mind shift when you arrive.

I travel between 1 hour 20 to 1 hour 40 each way each day and I don't mind at all. Joburg was at least 2-3 times that. Also, I get to live 300m from paradise, in a holiday town, so I don't whinge at all. Yes I could live closer, but no chance at having what I have now.

For furnished short term accommodation try Stayz.com.au

I find it works out much of a muchness rent ing furniture vs a small furnished place. I have also moved interstate and found accommodation for both moves on Stayz. ( remember to haggle for a good deal if you staying longer eg 3 weeks)

A guy in our team lives in Wollongong and travels to the office (in Chatswood) every day. He's been doing it for more than 10 years and he's happy to continue doing it - he's near the beach, doesn't have to pay a fortune for a house and doesn't mind the travel. I say "good on him".

Heymane

I say your friend is one cleva guy !!! Live near the beach and still be within travelling distance of one of the most beautiful cities in the world !! Brialliant !!

We are seriously going to look at logistics and costing of buying a house near the coast - just Not Bondi - too expensive and a bit overdone..... Loooooooove Bilgola area !!

Cheers

Jonno

That Kimbriki looks interesting (I also see they accept asbestos!?).

I don't think we have a place like that in Brisbane, which is probably why I've seen about 300 tvs & computers lying next to the road ;)

We do have a resource recovery centre in Brisbane Bronwyn, the BCC run one at Willawong:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/environment-waste/rubbish-tips-bins/rubbish-tips/willawong-resource-recovery-centre

I think all the BCC dumps are getting them in the next few years. Chandler next.

No asbestos though...here's the free list:

• aluminium
  • batteries (domestic quantities only of household batteries such as AAA and D batteries, and lead acid batteries such as car batteries)
  • cardboard
  • electronic waste
  • fluorescent lighting tubes and bulbs
  • furniture and household goods
  • glass bottles and jars
  • LPG bottles (empty and weighing up to 9 kilograms)
  • metals (both ferrous and non-ferrous)
  • mobile phones
  • oil, used mineral engine oil063953.gif
  • paints, water based and oil based063953.gif
  • white goods and appliances
Edited by Fish
  • Like 1