Why have private schools in Aus

Theunis

I guess there is such a thing as a belief, and wanting a school for your kids that compliments your beliefs.

Some of us believe in money, some in good looks getting you everywhere in life, others in status within society.

Clearing the deck of all those superficial beliefs, there are values and ethics that we'd like to strengthen in our kids, so that they don't get sucked into smoking cigarettes as teenagers, taking ecstasy at weekend parties with their mates and having no outlook in life that is worthwhile.

I wanted my kids to feel that life had meaning and purpose to it, that there was a loving God who had their own unique interests at heart and would guide them in later life to jobs that are fulfilling and socially responsible.

I could have sent them to the local state High School, but chose instead to send them to the local Lutheran High School that was a school attached to my local Lutheran parish church. It wasn't a posh school by any means, the school fees affordable and not exorbitant at all and the parent's association bringing parents together closely in the interests of the school and the kids.

Looking back, it seems to have worked to plan, fifteen years down the track. I don't regret sending them there.

• Like 1

It's not the school that makes a great kid or secure a great future. It's the parents. If your kid walks around in a dress that shows her underwear it is not the school's fault, it's bad parenting. You get the best of the best and the worst of the worst in public & private schools. Much of a muchness...

I am a high school teacher in Townsville and have taught in a fancy independant (expensive!) school, the Catholic system and the State system.
There is so much to consider before making a decision and what I have found is that you can't put all state schools or private schools in the same category.
The area is important - what are the socio-economics like?
Each State is different too...
Parents - as has been said, parents of kids are often the make or break reason for why their little darlings are like they are.
Discipline at the school - this is the result of a proactive management or not. Not all schools, even the fancy ones, get this right.

Uniform - I've had to (try!) re-educate myself with this. Does detention for the length of a girls skirt in a private school mean she has a better education than the kids I have in front of me right now who have make-up on, beards( boys in year 10!!!) or false nails?

If I had to do it again (dear God please, no!) I would send my child to a Catholic school as I believe they are the best middle=road option. But I would still go and visit it, talk to lots of people and watch the kids when I could.

What I battle with in every school is the teenage culture - the language is atrocious, the girls have very low moral standards, some boys have none! (I am generalising, I know), teachers are abused regularly (I try not to take it personally or I would never come back!). But there are still good kids and parents out there.
The trick is to keep fighting the good fight as a parent.

If I could be so bold, I think some parents are actually scared of the different culture into which their child is going into; a natural reaction (I feel the same sometimes in the school!). But kids are so adaptive and resilient. Yes, some do struggle and they can be helped. But parents who are overly protective (I know, I was too...) can sometimes make it harder for their kids to adapt.
My 5c worth!

Have a nice day!

Edited by Tracy
  • Like 1

I would like to support what Bob said. Our twin boys attended Lutheran schools both in WA and in Queensland and it was the right decision.

I agree that it starts with the parents but it surely helps when the school environment support similar values and beliefs. When we return to Australia we will certainly do the same.

• Like 1

My daughter attends the local catholic primary school, it's affordable and since we are catholic it makes sense. I'm very happy with the education she receives and the school is small, which I like.

Catholic high school options nearby vary from $6000 to $20 000 a year, so I hope she wants to attend one of them. I do believe in taking a child's input into account also for high school.

The local public primary (Pymble public) also has a wonderful reputation (Hugh jackman went to primary school there and Knox high school)