Canberra Employment Conundrum

KalahariHarry

Can anyone advise how you are taxed if you earn a lower salary and commission, is it beneficial. Maybe more state benefits etc? Just wondering as it may be a factor. Trev

Na there is no specific benefit to the commission structure over a salary from a tax perspective, at the end of the year they add up your earnings and nail you to the wall regardless of how you made the money.

Edited by Nev

sorry - unable to delete my post (had to post something in it's place) DON'T MIND ME :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by 1982
  • Like 1

Trev

here is a link to a pay calculator. Its very accurate. I pay the exact same amount of taxes so it will give you a good idea

http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

just a reminder on the 2 years - you are not locked in, they are merely offering you a 2 year contract. you can walk away at any time.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

Just an update on the job front. We moved from Canberra to sunny coast.

I Told the original employers to go fly a kite and it was the best thing I ever did. In a much better position now, and living in paradise!

Trev

Well done. I'm glad you didnt settle for a 45k job or a 457 visa because both would have been a mistake IMO. I think sometimes we sell ourselves short. My advice to anyone would be to set their sights as high as possible and then revise their expectations IF necessary.

Well done trev, I missed this post. I got screwed for 2 years by my former employer cos he knew I was desperate for a PR visa. I regularly worked 60-80 hour weeks, and during the one SAP project, clocked one 100-120 a week. In that year I worked >900 hours OT without a cent being paid. I just grit my teeth and took it for the team cos I had my family in mind and the 457 was running out.

I am so glad you did not sign up with these guys. It seems to me that Aus is full of chancers wanting to take advantage of people. Well, my experience anyways. Well, I resigned and am now a free man. I started my own little company and have partnered with SAP to build my inventions, of which I have three SAP approved designs. Best thing I ever did. Now he has to go and get a real day job! He is probably so scared at the prospect of a 40 hour work week, LOL.

Thank you guys.

To be honest when I told them to "go and fly a kite" a lot of people told me I was being silly and I should have taken it just to have the job, I then actually felt like I was being ungreatful as I have seen others struggle for work.

But again, I'm glad I did what I did, we are now in a great position. We live well, have settled great in 2.5 months in Aus, bought a car (I have a 2nd work car too), had our first xmas and Already the bank has conditionally approved me for a $500K homeloan. Mommy starts work full time in Jan so we can only do even better than we are.

We have been very lucky though and I want the people who are struggling more than us to persevere as its sooo worth it.

Hope you all had a great xmas.

Trev

• Like 1

Thats great news my boet. I'm not quite there for a house as yet. Got scewed pretty bad by my former boss so recovery will take a while still.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

How did you get around the ACT 190 visa ? I thought you had to stay and work in ACT for 2 years before you could move to another state. Who did you apply to?