Skills Assessment

Hi

On the Australian Skills Recognition Information list my husband could probably apply for a skills assessment for 3 positions, all worth 50 points:

(1) Quality Assusrance Manager

(2) Organisation and Methods Analyst

(3) Management Consultant

He has an MBA and a cost and management diploma.

What impact/effect would a different application have if we were applying for a SIR (495) for South Australia as all are worth 50 points and all 3 would be assessed by VETASSESS.

I am beginning to think that if you are figure out how to apply and get the right forms, they should let you in just on effort and perserverance alone !!! :ilikeit:

Hi Nicola

In essence, if VETASSESS is the skills assessment authority for all three occupations your husband could list, it would make no difference.

I suggest listing as occupation the one that's most closely relevant to what he has studied and what he is doing now (i.e. what he has recent work experience in).

Then, have a look at the career possibilities for all three occupations in Adelaide, and depending on which one is seemingly most in demand, list that as your husband's qualification, keeping the above paragraph in mind. Oz immigration will become increasingly strict with the relation between studies and profession/occupation and the focus is on RECENT work experience.

Look at careers being advertised on www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au as starting point.

Good luck!

:ilikeit:

It's a pleasure, Nicola! :ilikeit:

NB is recent work experience - I cannot stress this enough, as you will have to prove to DIAC on application for regional SIR 495 visa that you (your husband) have at least 2 year's experience in the occupation you've nominated.

What is your husband employed as at the moment? It is for instance no use nominating 'quality assurance manager' if he has been a 'management consultant' or 'organisation and methods analyst' for the past two years.

If he doesn't have the two years' recent work experience in whichever occupation he chooses to nominate, his application will in all likelikhood not be successful. I'm not trying to discourage you (at all!) - I just want you to be aware of the facts.

Best is to nominate whichever occupation your husband has experience in/of for the last two years at least.

:D

Kangaroo

Does the 2 year recent work experience only apply to SIR? I thought it was 12months?

Thanks

BG

It's a pleasure, Nicola! :ilikeit:

NB is recent work experience - I cannot stress this enough, as you will have to prove to DIAC on application for regional SIR 495 visa that you (your husband) have at least 2 year's experience in the occupation you've nominated.

What is your husband employed as at the moment? It is for instance no use nominating 'quality assurance manager' if he has been a 'management consultant' or 'organisation and methods analyst' for the past two years.

If he doesn't have the two years' recent work experience in whichever occupation he chooses to nominate, his application will in all likelikhood not be successful. I'm not trying to discourage you (at all!) - I just want you to be aware of the facts.

Best is to nominate whichever occupation your husband has experience in/of for the last two years at least.

Kangaroo,

Unfortunately this is not entirely accurate. In order to meet the recent work experience factor for the skilled migration visas, one must show they have had recent work experience in ANY skilled occupation, not necessarily in the nominated occupation. If a 50pt occupation, they will need 2 years experience in ANY skilled occupation in the last 3 years.

Regards,

Fiona

Registered Migration Agent

Gold Coast, Australia

Yip, Fiona's correct there - I chose Training Officer as my skill as it was an awful lot easier to obtain a positive assessment in that field, but my occupation could be more accurately described as business analyst with elements of training.

I also got an additional 5 points (which I needed in view of my fast accelerating age) for recent work experience - three of the last four years.

Cindy

Kangaroo,

Unfortunately this is not entirely accurate. In order to meet the recent work experience factor for the skilled migration visas, one must show they have had recent work experience in ANY skilled occupation, not necessarily in the nominated occupation. If a 50pt occupation, they will need 2 years experience in ANY skilled occupation in the last 3 years.

Thanks for clarifying, Fiona!

I was under the impression that recent work experience in your nominated occupation also becomes very important on the regional visa later on when one is eligible for PR (after the provisional regional visa) e.g. on the RSMS (PR) visa.

Could you please let us know what the technicalities are regarding one's nominated occupation (and corresponding positive skills assessment) on any of the PR options that follow from the regional visa?

Thank you!

Kangaroo,

There is no restriction on the type of work that can be done on a SIR visa. However, it is expected that SIR visa holders will be employed while on the provisional visa in their nominated skilled position. Working in a semi-skilled or unskilled position may mean that the applicant is unable to secure sponsorship from a government agency or employer to be granted a permanent visa.

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks for your comments Fiona - always helpful!!

What are the chances of me applying for a SIR (purely because the skills and experience issue is more straight forward) and then hubby working (also in a SOL occupation) for the stipulated period? Having a second baby in Sept :rolleyes::ilikeit::D and am cautious to commit to full-time employment for two years straight away. Any ideas?

Nicola,

If your husband is eligible to apply for a SIR visa, it is probably preferable for him to apply as the main applicant considering he is the one planning to work. To be eligible for one of the regional permanent residence visas later on, you would need to have lived in Australia for 2 years on the SIR visa and your husband would need to have at least 1 year work experience in the regional area out of the previous 3 years(along with other criteria).

Regards,

Fiona Carre

Gold Coast, Australia