MoneyGram

Johan Swanepoel

Hi,

Has anyone used the moneygram service?

http://www.moneygram.com/index.htm

Basically we are going over to Aus end of April and most of our money will only be available once we are in Australia.

So I need a way to move money from SA to Australia while not being in SA.

Maybe this is easy and I am missing something. The moneygram approach seems like an option.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and Regards

Johan Swanepoel

We used the Moneygram system to transfer money to my husband when he was overseas, and we had no problems. You should check on the time limit for pick-up and be aware they will probably require a 100 point ID check.

My cousin, who has lived in Aus for a long time already, suggested that we open an American Express account and deposit our money into it before coming over. It is then accessible here in Aus immediately.

Thanks.

It would have been a dolly if we had all our money availble before we left. :-)

Regards

Johan Swanepoel

How are you going to give proof of residence and Id when you are not in SA any more?

Exactly that is my problem.

The moneygram service seems to be able to solve that issue. You get the agent in SA that you changed money with to send it to a moneygram agent in Aus.

I think that is how it works (but I am not sure)

To pass the 100 point id test, you can produce your passport, a bank statement and one other credit card / phone bill.

THe other option is for you to wihdraw the money using your ATM card - if you go into a bank, you can withdraw up to $5000 per transaction, and then just deposit it into your local account.

Cheers

Ajay

• 4 weeks later...

I brought it over with the allowance of R160000.00 per adult and R50000.00 per child under 12years of age.

However if you have more than the allowance, then there has to be another way. Up to R2000000.00 that has to be declared!