Whirlwind of emotions......

So the 2 years of stress, praying, sweating and hoping for that visa grant finally came last week and hit my heart like a freight train, leaving me feeling the complete opposite to what I did the day before it was granted.

Don't get me wrong - I am completely grateful and would not change this opportunity, but it feels as if my mind and body boarded the one way train that has left my heart in it's tracks. I have read similar posts of people feeling this way straight after visa grant which made me think that they obviously didn't want it bad enough - I couldn't have been more wrong and I apoligise.

We have started our final preparations like resigning, setting date of departure and telling friends and family which has made everything seem so final. No longer are we counting days until visa grant but rather wishing time to stand still so that we don't have to say goodbye to family and our baby girl (daxie) who has spent the last 10 years by my side and sharing my bed.

Not taking her with us was the toughest decision to make, the process would be to rough for her on her own and I won't allow her be alone during the day in a new country while we both have to work. She is use to a certain lifestyle (yes.....maybe over spoilt) and it would be cruel to turn it upside down. I think every pet owner knows the limits their pets can handle, and mine won't handle this one which is why we can't take her.

We have a month left of work, plan to pack our house up with the shipping company toward the end of August and fly out mid September to a country neither of us have ever been before.

We don't have kids yet so I can only applaud those who have done this with children, having said that I sometimes think a parent has way more guts as they are no longer living for themselves but rather for the well being of their kids, their decisions are for the future of their family. Maybe our decision would be easier to justify if we had kids - which is maybe why I am feeling broken and unsure.

This is by no means a self pity post, I just wanted to express what others may want to look out for and expect. I suppose this is just 1 of the many hurdles we all have to go through. I have learnt so much from those who have dealt with this already. We can only put our trust and faith in Christ and treat each challenge as an adventure. After all...... this is an incredible opportunity even though it hurts like hell.

Let the fun and games begin!

Taryn

• Like 3

1982, you are so right. When our visa came through we were exhilarated, but also a bit stunned. Suddenly this was becoming real - we weren't just playing "what if" anymore. As our time came closer and closer to get on the plane, I sometimes wished we could just slip away like thieves in the night and not have to deal with the goodbyes. By the time of the last goodbye, I had no tears left - felt like my heart had been wrung dry.

Thanks to whatsapp, Skype and email, I am keeping touch with loved ones regularly, sharing with them some of the highs and lows.

Have been here almost two weeks and it still doesn't feel quite real. It's like a weird holiday. Be prepared for dramatic highs and thudding lows. It's a whirlwind!

Best of luck to you during these last few weeks. We are all with you, cheering you on to the finish.