A critically important question

DXB2OZ

Can't find streaky bacon anywhere - do they not do streaky in Oz?

Yes they do, but it is not very popular in the main stream supermarkets. I have sometimes found it at delicatessens.

I buy pork bellies and smoke/cure them myself, then but it up for my own bacon with no Nitrates,nitrites etc. Far superior to anything in the shop.

I know Costco in Melbourne has Streaky Bacon....

• Like 1

There is streaky bacon at Coles, otherwise a deli.

I've seen it in supermarkets called 'British-style' but it's not so lekker anyway imho.

Also whatever you do, don't buy viennas ;)

• Like 1

Snags here are totally yuck so totally agree with Bronwyn&Co!!!

Have you read the ingredients, it reads like a witches brew of ewww. So many chemicals and junk. :boxing: Would love to out the manufacturers...lol. I make my own! Took a bit of experimenting but i have the process down pat now. The kids join in now, and even help me cut up whole lamb so they can see where there food comes from. They love it. :ilikeit::ilikeit:

• Like 1

Good people - you are lifesavers! Next question - what fish is the closest to hake? Tried flake, whiting and barramundi, but not quite finding it.

• Like 1

Good people - you are lifesavers! Next question - what fish is the closest to hake? Tried flake, whiting and barramundi, but not quite finding it.

Sorry I just can't help myself - I find hake the closest :-) There is often hake in Coles. You might try Hoki for comparison

Flake is shark meat.

I see you are in Melbourne if you are are on the East and looking for Boerewors I can recommend the South African shop in Caulfield.

• Like 1

You will struggle to find a match to hake mate, it's a fairly unique fish. But you can get within a shout with John Dory (dead ugly though) Hoki is okay, but does not ring my bell. Be careful when you buy and make sure you buy Aussie wild fish, not stuff from China, the Phillipines etc, which have known substandard fish meats.

My favorite is Rockcod (called coral trout here) and snapper is awesome, so is Barra. A large part of the flavour success/fail is how fresh and where the fish is caught, I personally poke and prod every purchase to check for freshness, and have never lost a fight. :boxing::boxing: If I am going to pay so much then my family depends on me to make sure I keep that fishmonger honest.

Stay away from the frozen stuff, a fair amount of what I have seen in WA would barely pass for dogfood in the quality side, I can see on a some of the food it has been frozen 2 or more times. They also spray prawns with water to "coat" them and bulk up the packet, so be on the lookout for that as well, although I have only seen that in the more dodgy mom n pop shops.

But in general unless you fish or live in CT, you are spoilt for choice here, good quality.

I buy pork bellies and smoke/cure them myself, then but it up for my own bacon with no Nitrates,nitrites etc. Far superior to anything in the shop.

Care to share your recipe / method?

If you buy the long strips of bacon the one side is back bacon and the other end streaky. I just cut the bacon in half and use depending on what I need.

For hake I go to my local Chinese market which has the best selection and the fish is fresh. I try and avoid coles as I find their fish old and expensive. At the market Hake is fairly pricey at $22 a kg. I get Coral Perch for $12 a kg and super yummy and often buy a whole salmon for $18 a kg versus paying between $27 and $32 a kg for pieces (ie a cutlet or piece of a fillet). At Vic market I get kingfish for about $15 a kg. Yes, we eat a lot of fish. So pleased I got the courage to go to the Asian market as in the beginning I was subjected to Coles fish and we were not happy campers.

• Like 3

yip viennas are horrendous..and cannot find a decent bokwurst anywhere. Bacon is cooked already which is awful. Miss the smoked bacon..

Surferman - pretty please share how you make your own bacon?

I believe butterfish is the closest to Hake. I have to try the markets as fish from woolies / coles not great at all.