I think I can, I think I can, don't really have option, so will have to

DXB2OZ

Ok, I slumped.

Handled the IELTS, the skills assessment, the EOI, the dreaded Form 80, the PCC, the application and the medicals. Handled handled the scrubbing and varnishing pre shipping. Handled camping out for two months while trying to liaise with schools. Handled comforting and supporting upset daughter while staying encouraging for an excited son. Handled saying goodbye to some very special people (although that was rough) and getting on a plane. Handled the unpacking and discovery of many special things damaged or broken through careless packing.

Now I am absolutely overwhelmed because there are too many plugs to change and I can't charge my phone ?.

I guess sometimes you are so focused on the really big things that the little hiccups kind of take you by surprise when you don't have any resources left with which to cope.

Had a little cry, had a big mope, found a multiplug which works and made coffee. Will have another little cry and then pick myself up and keep going. Because there isn't really any other choice. We are here now and need to commit 100% if we want to make it work.

I do really like it so far and everyone has been really nice and helpful. Just really upset about the plugs...

• Like 7

Feel bad for you. You even made my eyes all watery. Good luck and start looking for the bottle opener, that might also help a bit better. I am sure it will become better.

DXB2OZ,

So sorry to read this, esp. parter my post in the other thread. These electrical shave been plaguing me as well and sadly there isn't a clear answer on many if them. Aus just seems highly regulated on these things. I hope the coffee helped!

Cheers

Matt

Changed a plug - yay, me! Had coffee, felt better so decided to be practical and put on a load of washing. Now I feel like such an idiot - asked a handyman to connect the washing machine, he sent me an electrician (safety standards, etc) who was lovely but did only the electrical bit. Nobody actually connected the water bit. So now I'm the twit who made all the assumptions with a full washing machine, ready to go and no idea what to do. Time for another cry - this is obviously going to be my day for messy melt downs so may as well get them all over and done with at once.

At least my phone is charging ☺️

• Like 1

Oh wow! It really is a monster of an adjustment! I think the emotional toll is able to make mountains out of minor niggles... Cut yourself some slack and just move with the flow until you find your Aussie rhythm .... Reading your post really hits me as I know this is so the reality of what landing will be like... Maybe help " us on our way folk" with a list of things we need in our suitcases and not only on the ship!

Can opener, multi plugs and RSA/AUS adapters, spare toothbrushes and toothpaste (Aus price is enough to make you cry!)... Kids vaccination records, recent reports and birth certificates for registering at schools.

What else folks?

Pretend you will be camping on a desert island for two weeks and go from there.

And pack tissues.

Am sure in a few months I will reread this post and laugh at how pathetic I allowed myself to become. In the interests of practicality, I am just going to shut the door on my dirty washing until such time someone can help me connect it and go shopping for an iron to iron the clothes once they are clean - now there's optimism for you.

• Like 1

Why did a handyman send you an electrician to connect the washing machine? Oh gosh. I guess he heard it was an overseas washing machine with the wrong plug? What did he charge you?

Do yourself a favour and assume that for now you don't speak English. Just explain things three times, very nicely and in a friendly but firm way.

It's amazing how many small little phrases and meanings are misunderstood. It is frustrating. English is not necessarily the same English.

We went to Bunnings & bought about 20 Aussie plugs and changed them all.

We actually wasted a lot of money when we arrived because we didn't understand what's cheap and what's expensive. You have no teal frame of reference. As a general rule anything that requires other people's time is going to sting you! ;)

Be patient with yourselves also. Maybe you deserve an outing for a picnic or breakfast or MacDonalds.

Rome wasn't built in a day. You can give yourselves a breather.

Ps. If you can get the door of the washing machine open, take out the stuff into a dustbin bag, take your washing powder and google 'laundromat', find the nearest one in your area and grab a coffee on the way (get the change in $1 and $2 coins for the washing machines). Go sit and relax with your coffee in the nearest laundromat

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone. I forgot to add that I headed to Bunnings and bought a load of plugs only to find they were 15 amps and I should have gotten 10 amps.

Meltdown saga continues and was honestly stating to wonder if I should be allowed out of the house without a minder! Got confused at the traffic light, moved forwards when the turning arrow turned red and got flashed by a camera! So am sure my love letter from the traffic dept will be winging its way shortly, together with a PS admin fee from the car hire company

BUT.....am now back to being Wonder Woman. With some telephonic instructions from hubby, managed to find the outlet (MI6 couldn't have hidden it better), connected the washing machine and first load is now almost done. Have managed to assemble some clothes lines and bought an iron so all set and good to go. Never thought I would be so excited about laundry.

On a good note, driving back I was wondering what was missing. Then I realised the traffic lights were all absolutely deserted. There was nobody holding a baby, placard, gun, phone charger, etc. it's raining here, but there is no flooded out squatter camp just over the next hill. It's amazing what a difference that makes to the weight on ones shoulders.

• Like 4

Hi

things in your suitcase: multi-plugs, two prong adapters, australia/South African plugs-about 5, iron, hand towels, towels. sheets , blow up mattresses, motor to inflate/deflate, set of screw drivers, hangers, soap, pillows, pillow cases, duvets and covers, dish cloths, shampoo and conditioner, shaving creme, razor and blades, pegs and packet ties, pair of scissors, sewing kit, new clock radio, thermal underwear, gloves, scarves, laptops,hair dryer. plastic lunch boxes - fill with dish washer tablets., black bags.Medicines-over the counter.set of knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons. oven gloves, small breadboard/chopping board.

But the bags from Pep and cling wrap at airport.

That's all I can think of for now.

All the best.

• Like 1

So in addition to changing a plug (the legalities of which remain an extremely grey area) and connecting a washing machine, I have now managed self service checkout in both Ikea and Safeway. Am feeling extremely confident and powerful - this will possibly last until I see my first huntsman at which point I will then be reduced back to a quivering tearful wreck.

But until such time - bring it on!! Next stop - petrol!! This business of doing it for your self can be quite intoxicating

So in addition to changing a plug (the legalities of which remain an extremely grey area) and connecting a washing machine, I have now managed self service checkout in both Ikea and Safeway. Am feeling extremely confident and powerful - this will possibly last until I see my first huntsman at which point I will then be reduced back to a quivering tearful wreck.

But until such time - bring it on!! Next stop - petrol!! This business of doing it for your self can be quite intoxicating

I so remember feeling the same way, and just doing something simple like self service or putting petrol in your car can make you feel fantastic.............then you wonder why we did things the way we did in RSA......

Don't worry about spiders, just remember they are more scared of you..........it's those darn drop bears you have to watch out for :whome:

LOL, the first time I rode on a train, which included buying the ticket on the platform, and took a bus with the kids, I felt like I could conquer the world................the some silly little setback would bring it all crashing down..........you just feel like an alien in those early days............not knowing how "things work"

Then one day you just do, and you can't remember ever doing things differently.............big hugs to you..................and don't forget to take time out to dance in the rain :)

AndreaL, you have hit the nail on the head. Boy, I thought I was excited when the visa came - that was nothing compared to the high of ringing up my own groceries. Massive highs, massive lows, usually over the most trivial of things.

At least I am learning something....for each abyss of depression, there is usually a summit of joy to follow.

Plus, I have found which type of toilet paper and tissues I like.

• Like 1

The very first time I put the wheelie bins out I faced them the wrong way and later that day I found a big red sticker on my wheelie bins explaining that I was an idiot. I necessitated the guy getting out of his truck and turning them around.

And I set up the rent payment on a fortnightly automatic payment thing through the ANZ and the landlord insisted we were in arrears. Turned out there was another 'continue' button at the bottom of the screen I missed. Landlord told me in a very loud, slow voice 'In Australia we have something called I.N.T.E.R.N.E.T B.A.N.K.I.N.G'

Imagine my joy, since I'd been working in a bank for 17 years by then...?

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 5

Loving this thread :ilikeit:

I've cried in the nappy aisle...............been confused at what to do in Subway, nearly had a heart attack the first time I heard the loud traffic lights go off here........sprayed myself with petrol when trying to fill up the container for the lawnmower..............and done hundreds of silly little things over the years.................I often had to explain that " I was new"................lol..................but what an experience...................oh and nearly killed numerous pedestrians until I discovered that they have right of way.................

• Like 2

I've cried in the nappy aisle...............been confused at what to do in Subway, nearly had a heart attack the first time I heard the loud traffic lights go off here........sprayed myself with petrol when trying to fill up the container for the lawnmower..............and done hundreds of silly little things over the years.................I often had to explain that " I was new"................lol..................but what an experience

:lol: The first time we had to fill up we asked the shop attendant if he could be so kind as to show us how to do it, also saying we're new and never had to fill up a car. He obviously thought we were from another planet and very abruptly refused. Told us to stick the nozzle where it needs to go and press on the lever. Well, I felt like an idiot for asking but I soon realised that because we are new to everything here, you tend to overthink every little thing you do which only ends up to you looking like a :blush::jester:

oh and nearly killed numerous pedestrians until I discovered that they have right of way.................

Yes, they do and I too learned the hard way....

I was on my way to drop the kids off at school one morning. I stopped at a T-junction and had to turn left into a busy road so I was concentrating heavily on traffic coming from the right and had to wait for an opportunity to enter. Needless to say I did not look to my left (why would I seeing as I need to give way to traffic approaching from the right :glare: ). Just as I saw an opening in the traffic and started moving forward with my car (in the process turning my head to face forward) I suddenly noticed a schoolgirl who was already half way across the road (she approached from my left side). I nearly killed her and she got such a fright (but not as much as I did). Everyone behind me was on their horns furious with me for not looking out for her :blush: . I thought surely she should have noticed that I was not even looking in her direction (made common sense to me at the time and still do). But no, it is just like you say, they have right of way on these roads in Aus so even though that was a frightening experience for me, I am much more cautious because of it.

• Like 1

I still remember my wife standing in Coles going .....where is the handy andy.......

it is Jiff by the way :)

• Like 1

And Vim is Ajax.

And when you want to pay they say 'Chequesavingscredit?' 'cashout?' While you stand there looking dazed & confused. Lol.

Oh, and Maizena is cornflour. Learnt that one the hard way ;)

• Like 1

Ok, good people, I did it. I braved the petrol station.

Pulled in smoothly, opened the flap with no problem. Got out in full "wonder woman" mode, picked up the hose, pushed the button (had been primed), went over to the flap......and stopped.

There was a lid thing there. Ok, not a problem, I can do this. Turn...nothing. Turn the other way......nothing. Maybe it's like one of those child proof medicine bottles, push and turn.....nothing.

By now I have lost the feeling in my legs and would dearly love to just crawl under the car and hide, but the kids are wondering what is taking so long (afterwards my daughter was absolutely hosing herself).

So, I had to go inside, pluck up all my courage, look out for the friendliest looking attendant I could find, introduce myself as an idiot and ask him to show me how to open the cap.

For future reference, it does turn. Just the previous idiot had wanted to be extra sure it was secure so had tightened it as tight as humanly possible. I was too scared (and possibly too weak) to twist hard enough.

Embarrassing moment #17, probably. And it's not even been two weeks. ☺️

• Like 4

DXB2OZ,

I read this thread like watching one of those movies where the main character is a bit of a clutz and it doesn't matter how hard they try, with the utmost noblest intentions it just doesn't want to work out for them.

I feel bad for you and you have me in tears, then moments later your excellently chosen words have me in stitches again.

You will indeed be reading this after a few months and have a good go at yourself.

And reading some of the comments of people who went through the same thing, it makes for an interesting adventure to come for my family and I.

Good luck with everything, you will definitely be another person who's post I follow.

You go Wonderwoman!!!

I'm just waiting for that phone call from Hollywood for the rights to the screen play...

Good find Fish! But the Handy Andy we want is creamy amonia stuff exactly like Jiff :) It's for washing the bath and not the floor, haha. Found this...(seems a bit cringeworthy to me now tbh)

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Good find Fish! But the Handy Andy we want is creamy amonia stuff exactly like Jiff :) It's for washing the bath and not the floor, haha. Found this...(seems a bit cringeworthy to me now tbh)

I thought you were only used to sophisticated ads ;)

• Like 1

I thought you were only used to sophisticated ads ;)

Fish I must be too cool for adverts in general ? (luuurve my Foxtel remote, hehe)