Handy tips for plugs

DXB2OZ

Pack some multiplugs, then when you arrive just change one plug. You can get to the others later.

Anyone else got some useful short cuts or tips?

• Like 1

Great idea.... Or pack a few SA/AUS converters ( available at Dischem) with the multi plugs....

Keen to hear more...

The problem with all this us that AUS does not recognize either CE or GS standards, only their own, which regulated on a state by state basis as well as national. So using a plug strip to convertor that isn't certified by the state or Aus is technically illegal, in fact if you are selling such goods you can be fined over $800,000, so where does that leave expats like us? Anyone know an Aus based electrician who can chime in on this?

Many of us use Saffa multi plugs with no issues. Been here 14 years and some things still have the RSA plugs. Private use is exactly that so nothing to worry about in your own home.

I'm all for the "don't ask don't tell" policy, but would my bright idea have any impact on insurance?

DXB2OZ, yes, for sure, if your house burnt down due to an electrical fault caused by using non compliant electrical devices! You are not even allowed to change your own plugs, you can buy them in Bunnings and the like, but must be fitted by a certified sparky. They are then supposed to place a seal on the plug to show it was professionally done. As Crisplet shared, don't ask, don't tell, but if can bite you in the a$$!

If a certified Aus electrician could chime in it would hopefully bring further clarity, but this is what my research has provided.

Cheers

Matt

I think if your house burnt down there would not be a seal to read because it would be cooked with everything else mate.

• Like 1

Chzaau,

Ha Ha, ok, so you're in a rental, a faulty convertor or power strip burns out, damages the DB board and you're without power, you need to get the landlord to fix it and they discover you've either done the electrical work yourself, or used non-Australian standard plugs/convertors? What then? You can buy cheap Chinese SA to Aus adapters on eBay for $1 each, the tested Aus ones sold by Aus companies cost $10 plus. So that part of it seems ok, issue now then would to see if our SA powers trips are TAFE compliant, then you could just buy an SA to Aus adaptor and use an SA powers trip, provided it's certified.

Cheers

Matt

I'll take my chances changing my own plugs rather than paying an electrician. As a gambler I'm sure everything will be burnt anyway and so insurance will pay ;) I think Australians are more likely to call the electrician.

Maybe those of you that actually know some Australians can ask what they would do. It would be interesting to hear.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

This is a grey area,strictly speaking, changing a plug on an appliance is classed as electrical work for which one would require a license.

Electrical work is defined in the Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 and means work on electrical machines or instruments, on an electrical installation or on electrical appliances or equipment to which electricity is supplied or intended to be supplied, at a nominal pressure exceeding 50 volts alternating current or 120 volts direct current, whether or not the thing on which the work is being performed is part of, or is connected to or to be connected to, any distribution works or private generating plant and, where work is performed on any appliance, whether or not electricity is supplied or may be supplied thereto through an electric plug socket or socket outlet.

The states differ slightly but in Queensland ...........

Under Queensland’s Electrical Safety Act 2002, forbidden tasks include:

Some info from South Australia https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/water-energy-and-environment/electrical-gas-and-plumbing-safety-and-technical-regulation/electricity-and-gas-safety-for-consumers/electricity-safety/buying-electrical-and-gas-appliances/electrical-appliances

Basically if your electrical appliances do not carry a recognised safety approval mark.....see link above.............your insurance may not pay out.

I don't know what the legalities are in terms of using adapters/converters...............but know there can be issues running 15 amp appliances.

Hubby is an industrial electrician, you really need to ask a commercial/residential electrician.

There is big business here with test and tagging of electrical appliances for OH&S

So far private homes do not require testing and tagging of appliances but I guess it's just a matter of time...

Feel sorry for this poor girl (foreign charger)

"AUTHORITIES have issued a warning about cheap, noncompliant USB-style chargers after a woman died from apparent electrocution while using a laptop and possibly a smart phone"

http://m.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/usb-charger-warning-after-nsw-death/story-e6frg6nf-1226969068748?nk=c188d2e22e152b508d7ccb2c2d48c3bb