Nightmares about Koalas

Donelle

This afternoon I decided to start a journal to document our journey to Australia. Thought it as good a day as any to start, since we took the day off work to sort out the last few things for our applications, i.e. medicals and police clearances. Still trying to get the ink off my hands because in good old SA style there was not soap at the police station :(

We are so terribly sad to leave behind everything. The places we grew up and the family and friends that made our life here so memorable.

I was so emotional today; I think it is slowly dawning on me how massive this life decision is for both my bubby and me. Coming from a family where we have been personally affected by crime in South Africa in so many ways and having lost both family and friends, we would love to start a family in a country that is safer and where we don’t have to be absolutely terrified and frustrated almost every day of our lives.

Neither my hubby nor I have ever travelled to Australia, but through a process of elimination we have set our hopes on Melbourne. I am a huge foodie, love dancing, arts and theatre and through a completely unscientific evaluation decided to move from the big bad city of Joburg, to somewhere I truly think we would love.

Since we are making such a big change in our lives, might as well do it proper :P

So, in doing as much research, googling and reading as I can to make moving to a strange and unknown place less scary, I started having nightmares about Koalas – of all things! This will hopefully subside in time and be replaced with wonderful dreams of the food in Victoria Market and all the good coffee I have been reading about.

Another item that has piqued my interest as I have been shuffling through thousands of posts, photos and articles is the fascinating vocabulary that Australians have… I think I am worse than an overly excited child and may just be driving my hubby up the wall with random “facts” about various words and meaning of phrases used in OZ…

As I were doing all this research and reading one night this week, I was curious to see what flights would cost in a few months’ time… as part of budgeting and planning we had set aside a figure in our heads as to what flights would cost, and just needed an updated price check to insure we were still in line with current prices. I know this is going to be quite and obvious and silly thing to say, but we had overestimated the costs by quite a bit – since it dawned on me we did not need return tickets. (Slightly hysterical giggle followed this discovery)

From being able to share in so many people’s experiences and journeys on this forum, I know that this is not going to be easy by any means. I am just so thankful that people share them, as it makes it a little easier when you realise it is completely normal to have such a huge mixed bag of emotions.

XoXoX

D

• Like 1

Donelle, if you need information about Melbourne, feel free to ask or PM me... always willing to help!

Thanks so much Mara, I will definitely take you up on the offer :D

No problem Donelle, look forward to hearing from you.

Just a quick question... I have been reading a little about the wild life in Australia... and some of the encounters on the blog... ( I am trying really hard not to sound like one of those stupid tourists that you hear about that think that South Africans live amongst the lion and elephant herds) :blush:

What is the wild life like in and around Melbourne?

Just a quick question... I have been reading a little about the wild life in Australia... and some of the encounters on the blog... ( I am trying really hard not to sound like one of those stupid tourists that you hear about that think that South Africans live amongst the lion and elephant herds) :blush:

What is the wild life like in and around Melbourne?

Tattoos, post-hipster and looks down on everyone not on a tram line.

• Like 2