News from Brisbane

Noddy

Hi All

Thought i'd write a few lines on our experiences thus far - only been here for just over 2 weeks. :thumbdown:

My hubby came over 2 weeks before us. When we arrived, he had already started working, but was given time off to get us settled. We had our kids in private schools in Durban but decided for the State option here. I have to say, so far we don't regret that decision. My daughter's in Centenary High in Grade 10. The maximum number of kids per class is 25. They have a really up to date, advanced school, with all the latest equipment etc. My son is in grade 7 at Jindalee, and the standard and discipline there is also impeccable. One thing both my kids said is that the kids here are far more friendly than the kids in RSA (and let me tell you, both of them were a little sceptical about starting school here!).

Trying to find a rental is a cut throat business. The agents don't run after you like in RSA - they don't have to - rentals are about as scarce as hens teeth! :holy: Thankfully, hubby managed to find us a place. And it was a real blessing, cos when he put in the application, he didn't have the 100 points required for identity, but they gave it to him anyway (after doing an extensive check on him!).

Another thing that totally amazes me is how courteous and considerate the road users all are!!!! At first i was hesitant about driving in case i got lost or something like that. No need to worry, these guys give you a gap so you can enter the traffic, are understanding if you need to turn when you're in a lane you shouldn't be etc.

Oh, and i tell you, the pedestrians here would be killed on RSA roads. If there's a pedestrian crossing, the pedestrians just walk cos they have right of way - and the amazing thing... The cars stop for them - EVERY TIME!!

One thing that's a bit daunting when you first get here, is the 100 points you need before you can do anything. We were lucky cos we have friends here. I'm not sure how people that land here and don't know anybody cope.

So far, i can honestly say i'm enjoying every minute of it 100%!

Anyone with any questions - feel free to fire away, and i'l do my best to answer.

Take Care

Pam

Dear Pam

Great to hear that you have settled so well.

So nice to hear of kids being friendlier and that your kids have settled in. Wll done to your whole family!

Guest wilna

Hi Pam

Dankie vir die inligting, dit is altyd lekker om van iemand te hoor wat net daar aangekom het. Mens kan sommer die opgewondenheid in jou brief voel. :thumbdown:

Ek kan nie wag vir ons beurt nie.

Groete Wilna

Hi Pam, Good to hear that everything is going well. We are moving over at the end of Nov with a 7 year old and a 10 Year old. I have heard about the renting rat race. Luckily we have family to stay with in Brisbane as we arrive but I am really worried about finding a place to stay initially. We want to rent for about six months before we buy. Which area are you renting in. Do you think it will be worse at the end of the year.

Also maybe Queensland girl can help here but is there the same problem with renting on the Gold coast. We would really like to be in our own place for Christmas.

Good luck with settling in

Cheers Megan.

Hi Pam if all goes well we will be in Brisbane in June, how do you get the 100 points? We do know people in Brisbane is that enough, what else do we need?

Liza

Hi All

We are renting in an area called Jindalee. It's a lovely area that has a great feel about it. It's close to the primary & high school & shops. I'm not sure if any time of the year gets more hectic with regards to finding a rental, but i'd hate to think it can get much worse than it is.

There are a numbeer of ways to qualify for the 100 points: when you first get here, its a good idea to make sure you get yourself a bank card asap. & they don't give it to you over the counter - they post it to you, so you need to have an address. You have to find a bank within 6 weeks of arriving cos then they'l accept only your passport as proof of ID. Your passport only gets you 70 points!

If you know people & they're prepared to have your mail sent to their home, then the bank can mail your bank card to them. Once you receive your bank card, that is mail with your name & address on, and that will also get you points. It's also a good idea to apply for your TFN number as soon as you arrive, cos when they post you the number, that is accepted as proof of address - more points. If you qualify for Medicare, register for that as soon as possible as well - just another way of identifying you & qualifying for points.

I went for my learners licence on Monday. They have 2 categories of documents they require before you can apply. I used my Medicare & bank card, my passport & my letter with my TFN number to qualify.

We're still waiting for our container. It landed in Brisbane on 13th April. It was collected on Thursday last week and taken to customs. They said they'l give us a call today to let us know when our stuff will be delivered - I CANT WAIT!!!!

Take Care

Pam

Hi PAM

Thanks for the 100 point, pointer. We will be landing on 25 May 2007 so much to do so little time B) .

Hope all goes well with your custom clearance and you get your stuff soon. Sounds like you are settling in very nicely.

Can you do the TFN number registration online or do you have to go into the various offices to do all of this ?

Cheers

Rudi

Hi Rudi,

You can apply electronically for your TFN (Tax File Number) from the ATO (Australian Tax Office) website here. It will then be mailed to you.

SAS

Hi Rudi,

You can apply electronically for your TFN (Tax File Number) from the ATO (Australian Tax Office) website here. It will then be mailed to you.

SAS

Hi SASydneysider

Thanks for the info, Will keep this link need it soon

Cheers

Rudi