Can employer reduce my working days?

Chelsea

Hi,

If anyone has any advice on the following it would be much appreciated:

During my 18 months of working for the same company, I (and everyone else in the company) have been put on "short time" four times. Currently I am on week 5 of working a 4 day week instead of 5. Therefore I am losing a fifth of my income.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is what the owner is doing to his employees even legal?

Any advice would be welcome, thank you.

• Like 1

They can reduce your working hours especially if there is a downturn. That should however also be a warning light for you to start looking for something else because things might turn poor.

Speak to the employer, understand why they doing it, maybe you can take on other work and reduce your time further with the firm.

Agree 100% with chzaau. See this as an excellent opportunity to work on your networking (something that is not so easy if you full time employed) and looking for alternatives.

Yeah. There's far less job protection measures here. If you earn over a certain bracket, you can be made redundant without any compensation, for instance.

Start looking for something else.

A lot depends on what kind of award you are on, but most likely they are doing nothing wrong.If you have concerns you could ring Fairwork.