My first interview

Rhino1

So we received our 190 VISA by mid May. The same day of receiving the good news I went onto Seek and saw a job at the City Council of Port Adeliade Enfield that is exactly what I do at the moment. It is a senior level position and I knew it is difficult getting a job whilst you are still in South Africa, and even more so from the Government Sector. Anyway, I thought I could not lose anything by applying, so I sent my CV (Polished a 2008 version I had and attempted the Ausie format), and application letter. Every morning for two weeks I would rush to the computer to check if there was any e-mail from them. By the third week I thought, oh well, its not going to happen. Then at 8h00 on 16 June I received a call from a very friendly Ausie lady to say that I have been shortlisted for the position and they would want to do a Skype interview with me on the 25th of June. Wow! I was shocked but also very excited. Is this really happening?

I had a week to prepare for the interview so I studied Australian pieces of legislation, dusted my old text books and made many pages of notes. The morning of the interview I kicked everyone out the house and treated myself to a strong cup of coffee. It was my first Skype interview so it felt a bit awkward and a bit nervous in the beginning. But, the caffeine kicked in after 10 minutes and I talked the hind leg of a donkey. The interview took just over an hour and the City Manager told me after the interiew that I did very well...

Then came the self analysis, going over every question and my answers again in my head, thinking I could have said this and should have added that... maybe I got it a bit wrong here and there. This morning I received an email stating that I was unfortunately unsuccessful. However, the following was also stated "the Director Technical Services has advised that your application and interview were a very high standard and it was a tough decision in the end. While you have been unsuccessful, the interview panel welcome the opportunity to discuss the position with you and reaching this stage of the process indicates your considerable professional qualities." Dont know if this is standard lingo to honey coat bad news to unsuccessful applicants though.

I take this then as a learning curve and also perhaps encouragement that sooner rather than later I may just land a job. Be as it may, we have to be in Australia by first week of December...

Edited by Rhino1
  • Like 2

Well done! I would be happy with that - I'm sure it does the confidence good moving forward!

• Like 1

Well done! Skype interviews can he tough and it sounds like you did a great job! Good luck for the next one:)

• Like 1

I think it's incredible that you got that far with only a Skype interview Rhino.

I'd push them a little bit by requesting a couple of the interviewer's email addresses and ask if they would be prepared to have a face-to-face meeting during early 2015.

If you get the nod you can chase them up in a few months time without feeling like a stalker.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

just get your butt over here! Well done on getting an interview. I know how tough the job market is and the mere fact that they were willing to talk to someone out of the country means your skills are in demand. I dont doubt that you will land a nice job soon after landing, if not before.

well done!

• Like 2