immigrating in Grade 12?

brendank

Hi All, I would like to know if it is better to let my daughter finish grade 12 next year in SA or to let her start in Aus. Many thanks

Hi Brendank,

We have a friend who moved to Melbourne last year with her daughter doing a Grade 12 in Aus, she wanted to by choice to meet people, make friends and settle in before University or working. She's adapted well though found the math level there was much higher, but has embraced the challenges.

Hope that's of some help!

Matt

Which state are you looking at relocating to and does she intend going to university?

Hi

Our son was in grade 12 in SA this year and when we got here -April 2014 he had to redo grade 11 as they start grade 12 work in the 4th term in grade 11 . They also finish grade 12 by September . I suggest you email the school.

That depends very much on the school and the state, hence my earlier question.

Thanks all for the response, we are going to Robina on the Gold Coast, my daughter does want to go to University, we have to have our visas activated by April so repeating Grade 11 would probably be the only option? We have not looked at any schools yet as we were waiting for the visas, can anybody recommend good schools for us in that area or surrounding. I have a son that is seven and would love it if they could attend the same school.

Hi

we are in Sydney so I don't know about where you are going. We had the option of flying our son in to activate the visa and then back to finish his matric and then join us at the end of the year. However he did not want to go back so he accepted that he would go back to grade 11 for term 2 and term 3 and then start year 12 in 4th term.

When we went to the interview, the day before school began , we met the vice principal and i said he has to go to university so he is doing subjects to get the best marks for going to uni. It is decided by your ata which as far as I could see is the marks allocated per subject. They also do 6 subjects in grade 11 and then drop one for grade 12.

The other advantage of him doing his grade 11 is that it gives him the year to do his learners which is 120 hours of driving with you in the passenger seat. Most Australian children do the learners year when they turn 16 so by 17 they are on their "P1" plates and driving alone.

So there are advantages and disadvantages. I hope that he will make friends at school that will be his friends in the future. My two kids miss their friends from SA and my son is looking for a job so he can pay for a ticket back to SA at the end of next year to see his friends who will already be a year out of school.

Hope the information helped.

take care

We let our son finish matric in SA but they made him enter Australia to validate his PR in the middle of prelims. He was turning 18 on the 28 Sept and our CO gave him 2 weeks to enter the country.

We flew him into Melbourne to stamp his passport on the Friday and then back again to Jhb on the Sunday to carry on with prelims.

That CO was such an @sshole, he didn't care.

We let our son finish matric in SA but they made him enter Australia to validate his PR in the middle of prelims. He was turning 18 on the 28 Sept and our CO gave him 2 weeks to enter the country.

We flew him into Melbourne to stamp his passport on the Friday and then back again to Jhb on the Sunday to carry on with prelims.

That CO was such an @sshole, he didn't care.

What is the point of the whole validation thing ?

What is the point of the whole validation thing ?

I don't actually know Fish. There are different rules for different visa types, sometimes you have to be onshore & sometimes offshore. I think in our case there was something about us all being onshore on date of PR grant & before he turned 18. But I don't really know if that was the reason (because he was still in school, so obviously dependent).

We arrived in Australia on the day schools started, after choosing a school and enrolling our boys a few days had passed. Our eldest was supposed to go into grade 12 and he went into grade 12 without any problems although as someone else mentioned the maths was more advanced than what he had done at school in South Africa. But he caught up in no time with the help of his maths (or math as they like to call it here!!) teacher giving him early morning extra lessons out of the kindness of her heart. If you arrive later in the year it will be more difficult for her to catch up. The one thing the education department asked for were his Grade 11 results which we just got Westville Boys High to send us. So perhaps get them in advance before you leave. This was 5 and half years ago so perhaps things have changed in that time but I doubt it.