Converting South African drivers license to Australian one

Farrow

Confused? I thought we (South Africans) had to redo the driving test?

As of 1 March 2013 AustRoads added South Africa to the list of countries that can simply convert their license without having to redo the test. All the states expect for QLD followed suit and QLD caught up on 1 June 2013, a welcome change to law for me.

You can currently drive as long as you like on your SA licence in WA, provided;

1: its valid

2: you are not a perm. resident or citizen, if so, you have 90 days to convert. (you could not have gotten citizenship without a licence anyways since you needed >12 months PR prior applying for citizenship...unless you dont drive/have a licence)

3: You dont have a No Authority to Drive issued against you

• Like 1

Thank you so much, that is great news, we looking at going to WA or SA.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As of 1 March 2013 AustRoads added South Africa to the list of countries that can simply convert their license without having to redo the test. All the states expect for QLD followed suit and QLD caught up on 1 June 2013, a welcome change to law for me.

Hi, where I can check this list? I have a US drivers license and want to know how to go about converting it.

Thanks

Hey Gya, it's here (http://www.austroads.com.au/drivers-vehicles/overseas-driver-licences/applying-for-a-licence) on the AustRoads site and will also be listed on each states transport and main roads site.

• Like 2

Been doing a little research into converting my licence and came across this:

Road rules theory tests

This computerised test consists of 30 multiple choice questions on the road rules and safe driving practice and is conducted at the Driver and Vehicle Services Centre or regional agent when you apply for your licence.

You will need to get 24 or more answers correct in order to pass. You should prepare for the test by studying the Drive Safe handbook and taking our online road rules theory test quiz.

From this website: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/transferring-your-overseas-licence.asp

Did anyone who converted recently have to do any tests?

If you have a South African license and are 25 or older then you simply just have to convert, there are no tests involved.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 01 July 2014 at 11:38 AM, SurferMan said:

You can currently drive as long as you like on your SA licence in WA, provided;

1: its valid

2: you are not a perm. resident or citizen, if so, you have 90 days to convert. (you could not have gotten citizenship without a licence anyways since you needed >12 months PR prior applying for citizenship...unless you dont drive/have a licence)

3: You dont have a No Authority to Drive issued against you

Hi Surferman

We are in WA for a two week holiday, the main purpose of the trip being to activate our 189 PR visa's. If we are only here for two weeks do we need to convert our licenses now? Or only when we return to settle good in Jan 2017? Just worried about the 90 days story, that when we return next year we will be asked to redo our whole license! 

Each State in Australia runs its own road system and transport needs, such as vehicle licensing and issuing driver's licences.

You can get a local State licence to drive with in any state of Australia.

Each state is happy to dish out a new driver's licence for you, but it costs lots of $$$$$$$ 

You pay the money, they hand you a nice shiny, new licence over. . . . . . . BUT . . . . . what is the point of getting a New South Wales driver's licence, paying $100 or $200 for it, driving over the border into Queensland where you'll be living, and you are required after three months to get a local Queensland licence?

. . . . . . another $200 to cough up.

Save your money.

Pay only for the state licence where you are going to be living over the next couple of years.

In the meantime, use your old South African driver's licence, get some more wear the tear out of it covering you as you drive across Australia to where you're going to be living in the near future.

Once you are in the state you are going to be living in, then you can kiss your old South African driver's licence good-bye, get yourselves a new Australian licence and feel more like part of the landscape here.

Thanks SurferMan, my thoughts exactly.

I am assuming then that the requirement to convert the license before 90 days is only once you have settled and intend to stay longer than 90 days. They would pick up that this trip was only two weeks and hence not start counting the 90 days from now? Rather they would see we re-entered again in Jan 2017 and only start counting then?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions, just don't want wifey and I to have to redo drivers license from scratch due to a misunderstanding!  

Sorry, off topic, but another question. Should we enroll on Medicare during our two week stay? Or again just leave until we return for good in Jan 2017? 

You are only required to get an Aussie licence if you have gotten PR, you have 90 days from PR grant to convert/get an Aussie licence. The 2 weeks has no linkage and they are not a Gestapo so they wont track and come after you! :P

Medicare...I would say enrol when you land. Not sure if there is any point in doing it sooner, others on the forum may have a better insight than I do. I lived here 4 years n a 457 and only went onto Medicare waaay after getting PR.

@SurferMan to my knowledge it is 90 days from when you arrive to stay, not from visa grant.

@Wannagonow you cannot enroll for Medicare until you arrive to stay.

image.jpeg.778660969df9f7b858255a8df41f7Thanks Mara, SurferMan and Peterthe1. 

I think it safe to say that one only needs to  convert license within three months of when one intends to settle (in WA that is). Screen grab from Peterthe1 link seems to confirm this in my opinion. 

Edited by Wannagonow

Sorry Mara, that is what I meant. When you have PR AND you are resident in Aus, you have 90 days from the grant of the visa. (Assuming you are onshore in Aus)

I actually was pulled over in WA and successfully quoted chapter and verse to the cop. He eyed me, went back to his car, checked and came back to me and asked me if I was a lawyer. Nah mate, just know my rights. LOL. Windgat yes!

hi all. Arriving in Sydney at the end of this year. Can I just convert my license and if so what is required. Do I just do a knowledge test or will need to a practical driving exam