Brisbane Monthly expenses

Schmidtfamily

Hi everyone,

Our Permanent Residence visa has just come through (yay)! We are just calculating costs of the move etc. and wanted to know what ballpark monthly expenses would be if we were to settle in Brisbane. For a family of 4, what are we in for in terms of food, rental, petrol/transport, school fees, sundries etc? If there is anybody who has done a budget of sorts, please can you share?

Many thanks

Michelle and Tom

• Like 1

Hey Schmidtfamily, congratulations that is awesome news. :ilikeit: Can't really help with the budget though because we are on the Sunny Coast.

For housing www.realestate.com.au

Groc coles.com.au aldi.com.au woolworths.com.au

Energy agl.com.au

Telecoms telstra.com.au tpg.com.au

insurance nrma.com.au youi.com.au racq.com.au

health iselect.com.au

Hi Schmidtfamily,

Wow congratulations, we lodged in March and received our CO in May and unfortunately due to the slow down of issuing of visas we are waiting for our grant...

Would you mind sharing your approximate time line with us.

Thanks and good luck with the packing

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Parks, sorry been offline for a while and just seen that your visa was granted yesterday! Congrats! Ours took 5 years - we lodged in Feb 2009 (General Management Visa 175) and also faced a huge slowdown where we were not on the Critical Skills Shortage list. Anyhoo, 5 years later and here we are. Catch you on the other side! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

While you are used to having a monthly budget, you need to know that wages are paid fortnightly (sometimes even weekly) and it is not very common to get monthly wages.

Also some of the bigger bills like electricity, gas and council rates only come in every three months which makes it tricky to budget with fortnightly money.

When we moved here we thought we were doing so well until the first electricity bill came in that was more than my husband's weekly wage. Talk about a shock.

So when you sign up for electricity and gas, make sure to ask them about being set up to make fortnightly payments instead of waiting for the quarterly bill.

Also you said family of 4 - what ages are the children?

• Like 1

I've found quite a few salaried positions are paid monthly these days crisplet....maybe even the majority of salaried jobs I would guess. Maybe it is more common if employed on an annual salary rather than wages ?

Edited by Fish

I asked around my kids school and 9 out of 10 families get paid fortnightly and it's also why my post said "not common". I also run payroll for 8 different businesses and 7 are fortnightly and 1 is weekly. One is a legal firm, one is an HR company so officially salary but still paid fortnightly. My brother in law in Melbourne as a senior project engineer is still paid fortnightly.

You did miss my point though which is that it's hard to budget monthly when you are paid fortnightly and big bills are quarterly. If someone's bills and salary/wages match up then well and good and it sounds like your industry is monthly. New migrants need to know all the possibilities and weekly pay was a problem for us when we moved because we were used to monthly too. We didn't know that we could ask for fortnightly payments on our quarterly electricity bill for instance. It was easily organised, we just didn't know to ask. Just want to give new arrivals info that may not be on their radar.

• Like 1

We get paid weekly, it was fortnightly,some do get monthly, but fortnightly or weekly is the norm.

I was used to this though, coming from the UK...............I have Bpay and pay anyone set up on my internet banking, so every Friday, telephone, electricity etc come off.............I had a rough guess at what my monthly telephone and quarterly electricity would be and broke it down into weekly payments..............it doesn't hurt so bad that way.

Also if you do get a big electricity bill in, contact your provider about a payment plan.

Re, living costs, it is such a personal thing, some people live frugally and some live larger..............at the end of the day you are forced to live within your salary, people have done budgets on here, but without knowing where you will live and work, and what type of school, you will send the kids to, it is just guesswork.

Initial costs are high because you are setting things up, starting over, buying uniforms etc.

...You did miss my point though which is that it's hard to budget monthly...

I didn't miss it Crisplet, if you get paid fortnightly it is a good point, well made...I apologise if you thought my post detracted from that...it wasn't meant to be about your post in general, just a trivial observation about that specific thing from my experiences...

Edited by Fish
  • Like 2