Scans etc

Eyebrow

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/hidden-medicare-changes-in-federal-budget-medical-scans-could-cost-you-up-to-1000/story-fn84fgcm-1226952246802

I follow the news in Australia.

Because I want to get a feel for things over there, while I am still over here... ;)

Anyway, I am seeing all these worrying things about the medical services over there.

Going on a 457 (ie no medicare even), I am petrified of paying 1000 dollars for a scan!

How scary is that!

Is this just scare mongering from the media. Or is the Australian health system really in trouble?

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/hidden-medicare-changes-in-federal-budget-medical-scans-could-cost-you-up-to-1000/story-fn84fgcm-1226952246802

Because I want to get a feel for things over there, while I am still over here... ;)

Anyway, I am seeing all these worrying things about the medical services over there.

Going on a 457 (ie no medicare even), I am petrified of paying 1000 dollars for a scan!

How scary is that!

Is this just scare mongering from the media. Or is the Australian health system really in trouble?

Eyebrow I think they are using scare tactics.

Also, remember without PR you will be obliged to take Visitor's Cover with one of the private medical funds. We had this cover for 4 years.

Have you had a look at prices & benefits? In theory it replaces Medicare.

Take a look at Medibank Pvt or Bupa visitor's cover as an example. I think we paid about $470pm but we rarely had to pay in much at all.

• Like 1

We are on a 457 and we usually have to pay upfront for any medical services. However, our private medical fund is very good and most of our claims are refunded to us at full value.

How scary is that!

I think it is a concern. It has the potential to cost Australians and Australia a lot of money, not to mention the social cost, and seems bad policy to me. I hope these proposed changes are defeated and this govt is changed as they have too many very poor policies imo.

They are too extreme....Australia didn't get to where it is today via extremism.

Edited by Fish