Quarantine for pets

Pell

Me again - sorry, just something I woke up in the middle of the night and thought about - can you tell this is high priority in my life at the mo ;)...we're flying to Oz next Saturday for good, and I'm hardly as stressed about that as making sure my dogs can join us in 6 months - did I mention too we've never been to Australia ;)...

Anyways, you mentioned "They put a sticker in the dog's inoculation book" - is it JUST a sticker they place in the book, or do they need to record the microchip number anywhere?

Edited by acmac
  • Like 1

I am moving to Oz at the end of the year. I have never been there before. I am half way through my degree, which I will continue over in Oz. To me, my biggest concern about moving is how my girl will do on a long flight and how she will handle being in quarantine, away from me for so long :) I know exactly where you are coming from :)

The 'veterinary vaccination certificate' book only has my dog's name, date of birth and breed. It does not have her chip number.

Every time she has an inoculation of some kind, the date is written in and the vet puts their official stamp and signs it and then a sticker stating what vaccination was given gets stuck in. No chip number is recorded. If you take dog A for the rabies shot and then dog B for the test, they will be able to see that the dog didn't get a rabies shot....so you can't crook the system. I guess that is why the chip number is not recorded when the rabies shot is given.

So when you go to the vet for step 1, the vet scans the microchip and makes a notes of it, gives the dog the rabies shot and puts the info in the book. You can put the chip number in the front of the book with the dogs details.

When the rabies test is done, the chip number is written on the sample of blood that is drawn.

• Like 1

Thats no problem my one dog never had a chip although the other did. They never recorded the chip on any of their previous vet visits. Only had a.chip put in 1st dog when we started the process with first vacinations

My dogs got vaccinated for rabies 7 April, and as we've just decided now to only take the dogs - is it 180 days since vaccination that they can go, or 180 days since blood sample taken and tested?

i.e. do we only need to wait out the 45 days left (days since 7 April), or is it 180 days from blood sample taken and tested?

Edited by acmac

I am afraid I do not know the answer to that one ....

My suggestion would be to play around with the online calendar. Put in the departure date for 180 days after 7 April and see what date it gives you for the rabies inoculation and when they say you have to have the rabies test done by. It gives you 3 dates for each step. Recommended, earlier and latest date.

• Like 1

you're absolutely brilliant!!! so from the calculator it seems the soonest we can get them is 23 Feb next year, which is still ok. It's the second visit to the vet that doesn't have much of a leeway in terms of the latest you can do it, so that's pushed it out somewhat :(

Edited by acmac

You are very lucky that you have some one to leave them with in SA until they make the trip over. Gives you some time to earn some Ozzie dollars to pay for your dogs to fly over :) Cos it is not a cheap exercise!

• Like 1

You are very lucky that you have some one to leave them with in SA until they make the trip over. Gives you some time to earn some Ozzie dollars to pay for your dogs to fly over :) Cos it is not a cheap exercise!

We have the money now to send them across, as we've been lucky enough to have saved over the years. I'm guessing it's going to cost between R60k-R80k right. It is way too much I agree, but our dogs are part of the family.

• Like 1

Its not the flight thats expensive, its the quarantine. Our cost for twp yorkies for the flight were R15000 but we just paid R35000 for the quarantine. They will arrive on12 oct. Our new home is quiet without them

• Like 1

Hey Renny,

Who did you book your flights for the dogs through? and whats the process from getting to the airport to getting the dogs checked-in? What documentation is required?

Just to update everyone else as to what I've found out last couple of days. So there was panic, and had the dogs vaccined against Rabbies again this last week even though they had a vaccine in April. I then realised that it may push timelines out by having them vaccined again, but turns out it's fine, as I emailed <animalimports@agriculture.gov.au> and they said the following (see below quote), so then I was able to have the blood sample taken for my dogs yesterday and just awaiting results to then go to state vet with. Then we need to apply for permit and wait till Feb before finishing up on what needs to be done this side. Bought awesome dog crates for the dogs and they've already spent 2 nights in them and love them, so they should be used to them by the time they fly.

The Department of Agriculture suggests that only 3-4 weeks should elapse between the first rabies vaccination and the blood draw date for a Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre Test (RNATT). This waiting period is required to enable the animal's system time to produce sufficient antibodies to record an acceptable titre result.
A minimum of 180 days must elapse between the date of blood sampling for the RNATT (test result must be >0.5 ml/UL) and the date of export to Australia.
Please note that the RNATT result is only valid for 24 months from the date blood was drawn for the successful test, and your dogs must have a current rabies vaccination record at the time of export.

If your dogs have been vaccinated against rabies previously, it is likely that an RNATT would produce an acceptable result if performed only a few days after the rabies booster vaccination.

I just bought a dog "sky" kennel which conforms to airline regulations (such as this one). I looked on gumtree and found a great buy...one that would cost about R3,500-R4k cost me just R1k from a lady that just used hers once. The other I bought from a pet shop. Just look around while you still have time, but try look for a good second hand one to save on cost.

Edited by acmac

We booked throigh Petport. They come collect them at my parents home in PE and fly to JHB. From there they stay at their kennels for 5 days (extra cost of sonething R50 per dog pd) they then do the last vet check and state clearance. Also check the paperwork before they get put on the plane. They do all the xollection and putting them onto the plane as it is.done as cargo and not through normal check in. The quotes inculded the crates as well. Most of them does. We only collect them again in Sydney after quarantine.

Sorry for the bad typos but the tablet in bed is terrible and it throws me off the internet every now and then. So I need to type quick and just send before it bombs out.

Stupid Samsung :(

• Like 1