How does teaching in Oz compare to teaching in Sa?

LizeP

Hi, everyone. I guess this question really depends on the type of school. From what i can gather there's a whole spectrum of Australian schools just like there's a spectrum of Sa schools (from the rural mud schools to the so called former model C schools to private boarding schools...). I'm currently teaching at an Afrikaans school in Pretoria (math) and if i got a teaching job in Oz I'd like to know how much different or would be. I'm talking about work load and ethic,the kids, the curriculum, discipline etc. I'd also like to know how long it took you to get a teaching job. Is it difficult without Oz work experience? Is it possible to secure a job in the weeks before you arrive? Does it lower your chances if you email your cv rather than handing it in personally?

Firstly which state are you heading for because each state is very different.

Edited by Crisplet

I can't offer advice but I am keen to hear the replies as I left teaching cos the work load got too hectic with my young family. Marking till after 10 every night......

I'm not sure where I'm going yet, I'm looking at WA or SA but it really depends.

Hi Lize can't comment for WA but have been in SA for 9years. As a high school Maths teacher you should find contract work in the public sector schools reasonably quickly but start looking at the independent schools website for jobs now and sending your resume. There is quite a bit of relief work around which pays well but is pretty hard going as the kids are full on. There is not the discipline in the schools like we knew in South Africa and not all schools are particularly supportive of their relief teachers. The curriculum is not hard to get your head around and once you are on contract there are good opportunities for professional development funded by the department. Good luck.

Hi, I am not a teacher, but from previous topics on this forum, I understand that it is difficult to find teaching and other jobs in Perth (WA) at the moment.

Just a heads up for teachers in WA...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-11/100m-for-to-build-eight-new-public-schools-in-wa/5445058

Before we applied for our visa a chap from one of the banks gave us the heads up that teachers would soon be in huge demand due to the need for new schools to cope with the expected demand. He told us that would be true across the country. Even if the current government cuts down on new schools it would then mean existing schools are going to have to expand to take in the numbers of students expected to enroll in the coming years.

The problem is that there are so many teachers that cannot get permanent post , the are so many graduate teachers every year and just not enugh jobs at the moment.

Good luck

Seems like there is some contradiction! I do like the article about new Ozzie schools. Joweni has got me worried about the discipline though. It also seems like securing a job before we leave will probably not happen, especially if it's in all likelihood going to be relief work.

Hi LizeP

My wife and I are both in the same boat as you. She is a primary teacher and I'm in a high school (both in Jhb) and we are heading over at the end of the year.

We have realised that securing work before arrive is not all that likely, but we are going to send our CVs far and wide to private schools across NSW and QLD. Obviously for longer term temp or even permanent jobs. Nothing ventured, nothing gained - so we might as well give it a go.

We would be happy to end up almost (but not quite) anywhere in either of those states and we are also quite young with no kids yet. So we don't have many things limiting our 'search field'.

We've already started the registration process from SAfrica and have made some progress so far by obtaining an "Eligibility to Teach" in NSW. Registration is still a work in progress.

If we don't get jobs before we arrive we'll have to do some relief work in NSW and take it from there. That seems to be the most common thing to do before securing a longer term position.

Otherwise we haven't really thought about disciplinary or workload issues just yet. One step at a time.

I know that WA is planning 8 new schools and Victoria 12.

Buildings will only be ready end of 2016 - but should help with jobs. The schools are all in newer outer suburbs.

I've had a couple of teacher friends in Melbourne who only do relief teaching and seem to be consistently busy.

I know that WA is planning 8 new schools and Victoria 12.

Buildings will only be ready end of 2016 - but should help with jobs. The schools are all in newer outer suburbs.

I've had a couple of teacher friends in Melbourne who only do relief teaching and seem to be consistently busy.

I belong to another Australian forum (not for immigration) and they are having a similar discussion about teaching.

Here is part of the discussion:
I am in WA and graduated 3 years ago, in WA there is very few jobs. I was told there was going to be a big shortage in teachers by 2013, this all changed due to the GFC as teachers can no longer afford to retire, add to that the department employment changes, IPS schools and government budget costs and the chance of obtaining a job are extremely slim.
I am sitting here unemployed, my only income is relief teaching and that is very rare and erratic. I have applied for approx. 30 jobs and have only just got my first interview for a fixed term position of 6 months, should I get it, I will be once again unemployed for the last Term of the year. Most positions advertised have between 100-400 teachers applying, such is the situation in WA.

So there are plenty of teachers waiting in the wings already. You just have to focus on relief teaching and once you become known it will get better.

I think what many have said is true, there are lots of teachers without work, many women on maternity leave and the only shortages seem to be for high school math and science teachers or teachers willing to work in regional areas.

I live in a regional area and we often get young teachers, as incentives like the following are offered.

Rural and remote locations

The majority of teacher vacancies each year are in rural or remote locations which provide teachers willing to work in these communities with more support, valuable experience and greater career advancement opportunities. Teachers in these locations can also access a range of additional benefits, including generous financial incentives, accelerated transfer points and in some locations subsidised accommodation.

There also seems to be an issue with schools appointing staff on a permanent basis http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/teaching-40000-looking-for-permanent-jobs-20131116-2xnln.html

Those who work with gifted and talented students or children with special needs may be more lucky, but also the way teachers are recruited differs in each state.

In Queensland for instance, the state is separated into seven service delivery regions, and a teacher will be placed into a pool of all applicants for a particular region.http://education.qld.gov.au/schools/maps/

So you apply to come to Australia on your teaching skills, but once you arrive forget about working as a teacher and find a new career.

I belong to another Australian forum (not for immigration) and they are having a similar discussion about teaching.

Here is part of the discussion:

I am in WA and graduated 3 years ago, in WA there is very few jobs. I was told there was going to be a big shortage in teachers by 2013, this all changed due to the GFC as teachers can no longer afford to retire, add to that the department employment changes, IPS schools and government budget costs and the chance of obtaining a job are extremely slim.

I am sitting here unemployed, my only income is relief teaching and that is very rare and erratic. I have applied for approx. 30 jobs and have only just got my first interview for a fixed term position of 6 months, should I get it, I will be once again unemployed for the last Term of the year. Most positions advertised have between 100-400 teachers applying, such is the situation in WA.

So there are plenty of teachers waiting in the wings already. You just have to focus on relief teaching and once you become known it will get better.

Let's hope he or she is not hoping to become an English teacher.

Teaching jobs no different to others-if you want to you will find both horror stories of engineers, lawyers, etc.not finding jobs to the opposite end of people securing jobs whilst still in SA ( the country not the state!). Have a look on Seek.com and jobseeker to get an idea of the number of jobs available.

As for workload- when is the last time a teacher said : "I have a small work load!!!!!" :oops: Same no matter where in the world you go- depends on your own integrity and professionalism IMHO. Don't get too upset teachers I think it is the most important job in the world, other than being a mother, but then only half of the population can do that..

Please note that only the independent schools use seek or career one websites. Public schools use their portals.

I am not trying to scare anybody but I have been in the system in South Australia so I do believe that I have some insight into teaching and hope that my posts will help prospective migrant teachers.

In n 9years I have yet to meet (or hear) of a teacher who has got permanency with the department before they had contract work. Most if not all teachers be they graduates or immigrants do relief work wherever and whenever they can get it. The hope is that somebody in the school will take notice of your skills and approach you for a contract position . Any teacher can apply for a permanent position but I have found that in 90%of cases the person who wins the position is usually in a contract position at that particular school and they do like evidence of Australian experience.

But having said all that, I have almost always managed to get work, sometimes in a very difficult school, but I have survived to teach another day and it is good money.

It is a bit daunting for teachers but just be prepared to take other jobs if need be. My brother in law worked in accounting sales for a year until he found a full time teaching job at a pvt school (snr maths).

Another friend did relief teaching for a while (but his wife was earning a good salary), started coaching rugby and eventually started relief teaching at a pvt school and is now their top snr Maths teacher (top Bne school).

It can be done but it takes time, and you have to be a bit lucky.

Be flexible.

• 1 year later...

I am a primary school teacher who got relief teaching at my children's school. My advice to you is that you give 110% if you can get your foot in the door as that is what will set you apart from the rest. I managed to get enough relief at one school and it wasn't long before I got offered longer contracts. Permanency is very hard to attain but the longer you stay with one school the more chance you stand as there is always movement. I love my job and discipline has not been a problem.