School ages

Luke and Robs

I have searched the Education Department website and just can't seem to find an answer to my questions. My son is currently in Grade 9 in South Africa. He struggles a lot at school and I kept him back in Grade 5 so he is now a year older than his classmates which isn't a problem here in SA as he is only a year older and there are a few of them in his grade. My biggest worry is that he will turn 17 in March 2015 and he will need to go into Year 10 in Aus. I don't really understand the whole assessment thing there. Will he be put into an age-appropriate year? If not, how much older will he be than his classmates? Im worried about how he'll cope. Does anyone know what the TAFE options are and last question, do they choose subjects in Year 10 like they do in SA?

The social and emotional well being of the child are seen as more important than academic so he will be put into a class of kids his age. In most states a 17 year old born in March would be in Year 12 or Year 11 at the minimum so going into Year 10 may be an issue.

That is my worry. Putting him in a class where he cannot cope academically may be worse for his already low self esteem.

Hi Luke and Robs,

Cant help except to say subjects are chosen for Gr 11 and 12 and not Gr 10.

I will definitely be following this post as my daughter also repeated and in now Gr 10. Can not see them pushing her up a grade as then she would go straight to Gr 12 next year when we move.

Good Luck

when we moved here they moved my son up a year so he was in the school year the same age as the other kids, there are kids who are kept back or kept down but you may have to argue your point!