Arriving in Grade 10

KCT

Bronwyn & Co - if one wants to do medicine or a commerce/accountancy degree, is it still fine to choose the State Curriculum rather than IB? My daughter is currently at a well-rated private school in Jo'burg, and she's in the top quarter of her grade, but it is impossible to assess how she will be able to acclimate and achieve in Australia, what levels of knowledge are required etc.

Bronwyn & Co - if one wants to do medicine or a commerce/accountancy degree, is it still fine to choose the State Curriculum rather than IB? My daughter is currently at a well-rated private school in Jo'burg, and she's in the top quarter of her grade, but it is impossible to assess how she will be able to acclimate and achieve in Australia, what levels of knowledge are required etc.

Definitely- state curriculum does not stop you from doing anything. Ultimately no matter which system you go through or where you finished school, the school marks are converted to an ATAR- a tertiary admissions rank and this is what is used when applying for university.

Pell and others- I have worked with many kids that have started Yr 11 here and they have coped just fine- language is sometimes an issue for those from an Afrikaans background, but other than starting in a new school, the SA kids have done very well.

• Like 1

Yes Pell I agree with Drought. The best thing they can do it relax :) You can have a quick look at UQ medicine subject requirements online. She will at least need to do a Science - like Biology.

Business - it will help to take business subjects but not all schools offer them. That doesn't matter, if your average marks are good enough you can still get in.

The school careers officer will also advise you on the smaller details.

I've realised that the schools make a big deal about your ATAR/OP etc and that's fine, but as soon as you have passed a semester at uni you can switch to the course you really want (within reason). Our eldest didn't get into Engineering so he did Science, then transferred with credits. Lots of kids get into medicine via Biomedical Science.

Business isn't very difficult to get accepted into.

Bottom line is, don't get caught up too much in the results panic in year 12 ;)

Pell is she doing IEB? My son's IEB matric was a life-saver. He sailed in first year science at uni. Most of the 1st year uni work was the same as his South African IEB matric.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co
  • Like 1

Bronwyn&Co,

Yes, she's doing IEB and the school has many students going to study overseas and coping well.

The Biomedical Science route to medicine is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know, have read quite a bit as well but really feel like I haven't even scratched the surface.

Thanks a lot for your kindness!

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I found this Gr 10 Handbook on the Kinross College website and thought it was really handy. Answered many of my queries.

http://www.kinrosscollege.com.au/resources_74_2464778435.pdf

Robs