Elektrisiteit vragie

Otto

Sekerlik 'n dom vraag, my container kom oor 'n maand of twee oor met meeste elektriese toebehore - kan ek net die SA proppe afknip en die standaard Australiese prop op dieselfde manier as in SA konnekteer?

Otto

Jy kan by Bunnings Warehouse die "plugs" gaan koop. Ons het die laptop so gekoppel en dit werk soos 'n bom.

Groetnis

Madelein

No problem Otto. Although don't CUT then off otherwize you have to strip the wire again, etc, simply go through the motion of unscrewing, removing wires etc. :ilikeit: Faster and less effort. I am certain that is what you meant but I have noticed some people cutting the cable and go through the whole process cursing all the time for being so silly.

New plugs tend to be more expensive than I think they ought to be (my opinion), although Bunnings is cheap, so I went to a local Flea market one weekend morning and picked up a bag full of near new plugs, extention plugs, the lot for a few dollars, saving me a bundle.

Voltages are similar to SA so no worries there.

You can pick up adapter plugs at any curio shop, airport or pharmacy if you need a few but check prices first, even in SA, if money is tight.

(Aus & NZ have the same plugs)

An idea if you're still in SA is to buy a "multi plug" and then change that wall plug for an OZ one, and all your SA stuff fits into the multi plug & you won't have to change loads - Most effective with the kitchen appliances and PC.

Hi Otto,

We brought our SA strip plugs (6 or 8 plugs on a strip) with and then only changed the plug at the end of the strip plug to an Aus plug. We then plugged all our SA appliances into the SA strip plug. This is far less work initially when you need to get that fridge or freezer OR DISHWASHER going quickly! Over time we then replaced the plugs on the individual appliances.

In actual fact, my sewing machine still has a SA plug on which I use with the SA strip plug with the Aus plug at the end.

Edited by SASydneysider

We did the same (use the SA strip plugs) initially. Well, some of my older power tools and a few other electrical items still have SA plugs, in fact I still have the odd British plug in use. The system works.

However, an insurance guy cautioned us on that as the SA strip/ multi plug does not meet the NZ/Aus standards and in the event of an electrical fire with such a plug as a source the insurance claim may be denied. :(

But as SASydneysider and Cindylou mentioned it is far less effort to start off with quickly and over time one can replace the alien plugs.

We also did the multi-plug thing initially (worked like a charm! :) ) but then gradually changed over all our plugs as the multiplug option was not always that practical - you couldn't always plug something in where you wanted to ('cause the multiplug was in another room.....or at home...... :( )

• 2 weeks later...

Het by die plaaslike Dick Smith loop kyk, daar is niks, nou Bunnings soos voorgestel....

The Afrikaans name for Dick Smith is 'Voël Smit'. Here in Auckland in any case. :ilikeit:

Unless DSE has a 'special' on, Bunnings should be cheaper.

Guest Larry

The Australian and New Zealand plugs are the same. - I get the feeling that they are manufactured in Australia. My father discovered that plugs were far cheaper in Australia than in New Zealand. - So he stocked up on plugs while paying a visit to me in Australia.

He also bought some South African power boards... Then connected an Australian / New Zealand plug to the end. That save him the expense of replacing all of his plugs. As you slowly but surely buy new bits and pieces in Australia / New Zealand, they will all have the correct plugs.

"manufactured in Australia" and New Zealand AND CHINA. I suppose it all depends on who has specials going and who buys in bulk etc.

I vaguely remember thinking to myself early 2001 that the standard plug at the local shop is too expensive. That's when I started buying secondhand at a local flea market, I think it was 25c a plug in good condition.

The cheaper ones (new) here tend to be the plugs/ adapters etc with "Made in China" printed on them. I know of a couple of manufacturers on the South Island that manufacture electrical boards/ plugs/ etc., but they tend to be a bit dearer. But some items tend to be cheaper on your side of the ditch, bigger market/ more production facilities, etc.

I payed NZ$5.00 last year for a 6 plug multiplug adapter with individual switches (new) at DSE when on special. That's pretty cheap I think.

Eventually as one buys more and more local electrical goods the SA Adapter-Aus/NZ plug thingy tends to become a bit of a pain as Riekie suggested, but it certainly is a good interim option. After more than 5 years I still have one setup up like that.

Now I searched in all the appliance stores here in my side of the boendoes, but could find no plug adapters from Sa plugs to Oz plugs. Anyone know anyplace they have such things in Melbourne or Sydney?