Discrimination against South Africans in Australia?

KCT

Yeah in a way it's frustrating when nobody makes a big deal about your funny accent. It's quite cool being the foreigner... then again, I remember it being much the same when we had someone from the UK/USA working in South Africa... nobody really batted an eye. It was only if you were really exotic (like, from Romania or Germany or something) then you might get a bit more attention.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have only being welcomed by the Aussies. That said, I have embraced being here too. Attitude is everything!

• Like 1

In my experience you'll always know where you stand with a genuine salt of the earth Aussie bloke. If you act like a d*ck he'll tell you, if it's your round you'll know it's time to pay up. They will not let it slide and then talk behind you back. Love it or hate it, they call a spade a spade, just like it should be! Some people take offence and feel like they are being picked or discriminated against but you'll never be left guessing, you will always know where you stand.