Golf

Simba

Little or no chauvanism, fantastic. This is a good barometer for a civilised society. Was playing golf at Country Club (Durban), with my wife, and two hot-shot American airconditioning exectives had just flown down from jhb, to have a game of golf! They were paired with us.

Chit chat, pally pally, by the back nine, us men were teeing off some distance back, from the womans tee. The one Amercan says, 'pity they let woman on the golf course'.

Pause.

'Actually, that's not a very clever thing to say'.

Pause.

Q: 'Why, is that, what, not done here?'

Ans: 'I just speak for myself'.

I declined drinks in the bar. Not because I don't like drinking either, love a drink after golf.

We believe that good golf clubs are over subscribed in aus. They have waiting lists, like the Country Club days of old. Ten years.

Anyway, least of our problems.

Regards, Simba

We believe that good golf clubs are over subscribed in aus. They have waiting lists, like the Country Club days of old. Ten years.

Hi Simba

My apologies also for hijacking this thread - happy for moderator to move to a relevant area.

This is not entirely true - the face of golf is very much changing in Australia. Yes you will still find some of the major/top golf clubs like your Royal Sydney, Royal Melbourne etc which have long waiting lists, but not as long as you think. Many of them are struggling to keep/find members/

There is also a number of clubs out there with zero waiting lists and enticing offers like zero dollar entrance fees to join. You might be thinking this is the bottom end of the barrel clubs - they need to do this to attract members. far from truth and I can only speak for clubs in Melbourne. Many of the middle to top quality clubs have special deals on all the time.

The club where I play, which is a golf estate (Sandhurst) and where I am currently the Captain - has a once in a lifetime offer only open to 400 new members - zero dollar entrance (was $8000) and all you pay is your annual subscription - this gets you access to 36 holes of golf and a new recreation centre/gym. So any golfers out there in Melbourne or anyone with plans to settle in Melbourne in the next year - you may want to have a look at this offer even though you are not here yet - In 4 weeks we have had 180 new applicants and this was just nominations from our members/residents - we have not even gone to our external email lists yet.

Why has this changed - one of the reasons is that in 2007 there are more than 60 courses currently being developed/constructed or about to open across Australia - Supply and Demand issue - to many courses and not enough golfers. The golf paradigm is changing in Aus because of the number and choice of public courses available - many social golfers dont want to be a member and prefer to play at many different courses. Did you know there are over 1600 golf clubs across Australia.

This may interest you - Australian Golf Industry Report - The clubhouse on the front page is a view of Sandhurst club house and 18th green. The PGA has relocated its HQ to Sandhurst.

rgds

matman

Edited by matman

Thks Matman,

This sounds just fantastic, I usually play with my wife. She is a natural. Played Royal last week, and she pared the first hole - she hasn't played once in five years (new kids). I haven't played much either, smashed both my wrists in a motor cycle accident, 2001. But we are back to strength, and we plan to play at Royal every week this year.

Just a thought, Melbourne sounds great, presented a paper there during the last rugby world cup. Obviously we will have to move to Melbourne if we want to take advantage of the special offer. Then even if we do move to Melbourne, it would be great to live near the course. We live 10min. from Royal. A Client of mine is the club captain for Durban Country Club. Been invited to play on friday.

More and more reason to move to Melbourne.

This is going to be fantastic.

Regards,

Simba

Just a thought, Melbourne sounds great, presented a paper there during the last rugby world cup. Obviously we will have to move to Melbourne if we want to take advantage of the special offer. Then even if we do move to Melbourne, it would be great to live near the course. We live 10min. from Royal. A Client of mine is the club captain for Durban Country Club. Been invited to play on friday.

It was pretty interesting when we visited S.A. in Dec - I purchased a magazine at CNA on all the golf estates to be found in S.A. As you know this is pretty popular and was a pretty thick magazine. Traditionally in Aus these type of golf estates typically only found in the retirement cities like Hunter Valley and GoldCoast - to far from a major city to live and work - basically had to be a holiday home or retired to enjoy.

However in the past few years there have been a number of developments in NSW and Vic where golf estates have been developed closer to the city enabling a working person to enjoy the experience. So when we first arrived in Aus we were living in Syd and we had been there almost 2yrs and decided we were staying - we were trying to figure out where to settle and we did not feel 100% with Sydney - it was nice, but we just did not have a must stay vibe or felt a place we wanted to raise our kids - whole big city thing.

By chance I heard about Sandhurst and paid my deposit. What they did was have an auction of a difference for stage 1. You know when you go to Deli and you take your ticket - thats what they did - first come first served - you paid a deposit and you got a number. They then had an event where all the people attended and they called out the numbers - when your number came up you went in and chose your lot and signed the contract. I flew down on the day for teh first time - had never been to Mel before - the sales guy took me out to the estate, which was still a flat piece of farmland, but it felt good - the area all around us is zoned as green or farmland, so it is like being out in teh country - at night when wind blows the wrong way we can hear the cows.

I had done my homework as far as developer and area etc concerned, but it was still a punt - luckily the same developer had done a similar estate in West Melbourne (Sanctuary Lakes) so they were not a fly by nighter. Bought our piece of land and my wife and I agreed we would figure a way to get to Mel within 2yrs - luckily my company was looking for me to transfer to Mel so it all worked out great.

We are about 40mins with no traffic to teh city and 50-60mins if there is atraffic. There are also trains to he city - so alternatives available. However the way I looked at it - small price to pay as my kids and wife love living here and because I travel a fair bit with my job it was important for my wife and kids to love there home and where they live. Great thing is that during daylight saving I can still get home and play 9 or 18 holes after work and during winter I can still get out there and use practice range - great on weekend as I can play on a Sat and I am 5mins from home or a 7min walk if the 19th has taken its toll - no drink driving for me - BIG no no here in Aus - which is good

Ping me if you have any questions

rgds

matman

Hi Simba

Half of Durban :lol: here at Sanctuary Cove

www.sanctuarycove.com

They call themselves the FLOGGERS and play every Saturday. Last count I think about 40 Saffers.

Many ex Durban Royal and Kloof country club.

Matman-when up in Queensland , let me know. They would love to have you join them one Saterday!

I unfortunately am not a "natural" Have many a lesson with the poor resident Pro. I think i will rather take up kitesurfing-gotta be easier than golf :ilikeit: