Teacher and mechanic salaries

LizeP

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and my husband and I are thinking of making the move. I have so many questions about migrating but the biggest right now is definitely if we'll be able to maintain our current life style or will we have to scale down? He is a mechanic and I'm a math teacher. I've been trying to see what people in Oz in these jobs earn, but can't get a definitive answer. From what I gathered, teachers earn about 60k a year and mechanics about 50k. We dont have any kids yet and live quite comfortably right now. I tried to work out a budget, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I assumed we'll get a combined income of around 9200 a month. After tax it'll be 5500,(this according to a tax calculator online).I assumed we'll pay about 1520 a month for a two bedroom place,150 for two phone contracts, 600 for the both of us for transport,1000 for groceries and another 100 for electricity. We'll probably want to get at least one car, but not sure if we'll be able to afford it from the start. Even with all these expenses we've only spent 3340 of our 5500.That doesn't seem realistic? Not sure if I'm missing any expenses either. I'm assuming the expenses we'll have for the first couple of months. So I'm not including any debt or luxuries.

$1,000 a month for two of you for groceries is insane! Maximum of $200 a week for two people for almost every luxury you could want. I know families of 2 adults and 2 kids who live on $100 to $150 a week for groceries (cooking from scratch).

Not sure on the other costs. You'll have to get used to calculating everything in weeks - not months. People get paid weekly or fortnightly mostly. Monthly is rare.

Depending which city you are in, rent would be a lot more than your budget.

Edited by Crisplet

Combined income of $110k for only two of you is plenty plenty of money to start with, much more than many new migrants have, so relax, you will be just fine.

$1,000 a month for two of you for groceries is insane! Maximum of $200 a week for two people for almost every luxury you could want. I know families of 2 adults and 2 kids who live on $100 to $150 a week for groceries (cooking from scratch).

I don't think that's insane at all - we were easily spending more than that (including alcohol and cleaning products) when we were

a couple with no kids. Best to budget for that and be pleasantly surprised if you spent less than the other way around.

Edited by HansaPlease

I was speaking to a South African high school maths / science teacher this week.

She had done a day's relief teaching in a local school. Relief teaching is when you go in to teach a class because their teacher is away sick, or on a course. Pay was $320 for the day.

I asked her if that was good pay for South Africans? She told me another couple of days' pay like that and she'd earn a month's salary back in Natal.

She earnt R9 000 a month, back in Natal, which is $900 a month in Australia, at the exchange rate of $1 to R10.

My wife, a primary school teacher, would earn about $80 000 a year . . . . or R800 000. . . . for working full time.

I guess tax and superannuation would take about a quarter off, so she'd see about $55 to 60 000 in her bank account throughout the year.

Mechanics can earn $25 an hour.

My son works for himself. He is a good motor mechanic and does a good job servicing people's vehicles so much so that he trades on his reputation. If he didn't do good work, the townspeople would go elsewhere to get their cars seen to.

He wants to earn more than $25 an hour, working for somebody else, so has started his own business up. He has his own workshop nowadays, servicing people's cars in the local town.

His income can be anything he wants it to be, as he can shift income to lower his tax by buying more tools and so on, which are tax deductible.

He buys in oils and tyres in bulk at a very cheap rate, and charges the customer per litre, so makes money that way, as well as employing an apprentice to help around the workshop.

If he took 100% of the income, without spending anything on tools to lower his tax, he would be around $100 000 a year . . . R1 million.

The tax man would love him though!

So . . . . Australia has opportunities for young couples to make a good life for themselves.

If you are a teacher, your husband a motor or diesel mechanic, then I can't see why you can't enjoy a great life here.

It all depends how much you are willing to reach for those opportunities.

Edited by Bob
  • Like 1

Just bear in mind that relief teachers sometimes only get a couple of days work a month. Although the daily rate is fantastic, you cannot rely on it.

I don't think you have included medical cover or life insurance in your calculations. Look online at Medibank, Bupa and iSelect.

Rent sounds too low. Look on Realestate.com.au.

Overall you should be more than fine on an income over $100k for a couple.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Hi all,

I'm a newbie and my husband and I are thinking of making the move. I have so many questions about migrating but the biggest right now is definitely if we'll be able to maintain our current life style or will we have to scale down? He is a mechanic and I'm a math teacher. I've been trying to see what people in Oz in these jobs earn, but can't get a definitive answer. From what I gathered, teachers earn about 60k a year and mechanics about 50k. We dont have any kids yet and live quite comfortably right now. I tried to work out a budget, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I assumed we'll get a combined income of around 9200 a month. After tax it'll be 5500,(this according to a tax calculator online).I assumed we'll pay about 1520 a month for a two bedroom place,150 for two phone contracts, 600 for the both of us for transport,1000 for groceries and another 100 for electricity. We'll probably want to get at least one car, but not sure if we'll be able to afford it from the start. Even with all these expenses we've only spent 3340 of our 5500.That doesn't seem realistic? Not sure if I'm missing any expenses either. I'm assuming the expenses we'll have for the first couple of months. So I'm not including any debt or luxuries.

Two people earning 50K and 60K respectively will take home $7458 per month excluding super or $6970 including super. For two people that's plenty, trust me. The way the tax is structured you are far better off with two people earning 50K each than one person earning 100K. For example, if one of you didn't work but the other earned 110K, you would only take home $6640, that's $800 less.

On your numbers:

.I assumed we'll pay about 1520 a month for a two bedroom place - that really depends on where you want to live, you can do it for that but it won't be big or it won't be too central;

150 for two phone contracts - yes, if you want to get a phone and a contract - I think an iphone on contract is about $80 - you can do better if you shop around or if you have a phone and just need airtime;

600 for the both of us for transport - not sure how you are calculating that. A monthly train/bus ticket in Melbourne is around $120 (depending on whether you are zone 1 or 2) and if you don't have a car there is no fuel cost. But if you are thinking of being further out of town you will need a car.

1000 for groceries - I think that is realistic including a few little luxuries for 2 - budgetting a bit extra for food is a good idea especially if you like good food or like to cook. Not sure if you have included a couple of bottles of wine or a few beers in there - if so, not too many as it isn't cheap (unless you are budgetting on box wine)

another 100 for electricity - this could be tricky, if you live somewhere hot you will use more to cool down, if you live somewhere cool you will use more to heat up. You may need to budget up to $200 for electricty, or $100 for each of electricity and gas.

Also think about:

- water - not very expensive probably $60 a month for 2 people.

- meals out - budget $40 a meal (no wine and a relatively cheap place) - you should treat yourself a couple of times a month as you are a couple and don't have to stay at home with kids

- private health - not necessary but if you don't want to wait for an operation or want dental, spectacle or ancillary health professional cover you may want to think about this. Also, you carry a loading on hospital cover if you don't take out private cover 1 year after being eligible for Medicare.

- if you buy a car budget rego (about $700 per annum) plus insurance (between $30 and $80 a month depending on what you buy and whom you insure with) plus fuel plus maintenance

- household insurance (many don't have but recommended) - about $50 to $90 a month depending on level of cover.

- hair - depending on what you do to your hair - $60-70 a cut, $100 - $200 for foils and colour - that is at a cheapish salon but fortunately you don't need to do that every month.

- clothes - depends on what you like and what your habits are but its not cheap here. I listened to a program on the radio where some expert said that if you wear your clothes 30 times that is good use, but a lot of people in Aus don't wear an item of clothing that often and some only wear a few times before throwing away. We probably get at least 30 wears out of each item (thinking of how often I'm folding the same piece of washing freshly laundered) but we probably spend more per item than many Aussies. Shoes in particular can be pricey if you like a good leather shoe.

Bottom line, you should be fine for 2 people, but you may not have the spare cash that you think you will.

Lol I think I wear my Target stuff 200 times ;)

All good advice from Sunnyskies.

If you decide to postpone pvt medical please remember to re-look at it in month 10 or 11. After one year there is a loading which doesn't drop off for -I think- 10 years.

In any case if you don't have pvt medical you pay more tax so it is generally worthwhile to take out at least a basic hospital cover. If you have health issues, take a bit more than basic.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

We are two adults and a baby and we get by just fine on $73k before tax. Rent about $1800, groceries $300 two weekly. Good medical plan, one car, public transport, Internet/telephone, pay as you go contracts.

Sometimes we wish we had a bit more to save, but we get by just fine, going on holiday to Tasmania in a week. You'll be just fine, don't worry too much.

• Like 2

Erik, you give me hope!!! lol

I have a job available for a Maths teacher- can you be here in two weeks :excl::excl::ilikeit:

Ps depending on years of experience, you could earn up to $90 000 p.a as a teacher ( in WA)