Online shopping in South Africa

Benm80

Hi guys I'm looking to buy a bunch if stuff online in SA and have it delivered to the hotel I'm staying at. Just wondering what the best place to buy stuff from. Looking mainly clothes as they seem a lot cheaper than here.

Hi Ben,

Why particularly online? I think you will regret having preordered online when you see the shops there. I would wait till you get there and go shop at Woolworths RSA and also at Edgars. I think you will be impressed with the range and quality of clothes. There is Foschini, Markams, Queenspark, Stuttafords and so. At a 10:1 exchange rate, go with an empty suitcase.

Would love to go shopping but don't think I will be able to go anywhere, after arriving in Johannesburg we transfer to sun city for a week and then transfer back at the end.

Maybe I could see if I have a free morning and grab a car and head somewhere, if that were the case where would i head to? happy to drive up to a couple of hours.

Sun City is near the Waterfall Mall in Rustenburg (about 20 minutes drive). You will find all kinds of shops around there. Don't be tempted to spend money at Sun City itself. It's a tourist trap. Stuff will be much cheaper at the mall!

Hey thanks for that @OnYellowBrickRd will definately make a trip out to the mall then :) Do they have things like outlets like we do here or will the mall be similar?

Not sure what you mean with "outlets" but you will find all major stores (like Woolworths and Edgars for clothing) as well as a few speciality stores in a huge air conditioned centre.

If you are shopping with dollars you will not need outlets. :whome: None there that I am aware of.

Hahahahahaha... one does not use public transport in South Africa :)

Rather rent a car for the time you're there. Take care, too, if that's the mall I'm thinking of in Rustenburg, it's quite dodgy (keep an eye on your pockets/be alert and aware when you're going to or from your car).

• Like 1

I also laughed when I saw that....to reiterate above, "one does not use public transport in South Africa".

Look if you are very familiar with the local situation (ie street smart) then public transport could be used, but it would be extremely dangerous for a tourist to use any form of public transport including mini-bus taxis. You are a very soft target for crime!! Do not use it! Rather use a cab but make sure the driver waits for you while you shop so he can return you to your hotel. or rent a car!

Righteo then no bus trips hehehe and here i was thinking wandering around in my wallabies jersey looking lost would be fine :)

Will look into car hire at sun city for a half day

• Like 1

Wondering around in the Wallabies jersey (looking lost or not) is absolutely ok in Sun City, but going out it may just make it obvious that you are a tourist, so best to just do normal shirt shorts/jeans etc. (Do the Aussies call them jeans or denims???)

Maybe check if Sun City doesn't run a bus out to the mall - that would be safe, I'm sure. Gautrain/greyhound/intercape etc busses are fine but I wouldn't use the normal city run-around buses.

If you don't mind driving you could hire a car with GPS/satnav and try a mall in Pretoria which may not rate as dodgy ;) According to google, Pretoria is about 1h42m from Sun City, so depending on which mall you try it's probably about 2 hours in the car to get there, depending on traffic.

I'm afraid I only know of Menlyn and Irene mall... so can't offer many suggestions for Pretoria. But at 10:1 I'd also jump at the chance ;)

Edited by McCabes

I live in Durban so I can't help, but surely there must be one kind person on this forum who is willing to pick Benm80 up and take him shopping for a couple hours one afternoon.

Show an Australian some good ol' South African hospitality, maybe make a friend and a contact for when you get to Australia........

Hahaha If there is anyone near suncity up for some road tripping happy to cover any fuel costs and tip in beer or if that funny fella barry hilton has it right brandy hehe. Otherwise im thinking of hiring a car at Joburg airport and ditching the shuttle they have arranged. Think I arrive pretty early in the morning so maybe drive to shopping spots then on to sun city.

A friend from SA who hasnt been back in a little while suggested possibly a fourways mall somewhere between Joburg and Suncity.

You must remember that the area from the airport to Suncity is home to between 15-20 million people with the vast majority in area near Fourways Mall (A suburb near my old home by the way). Officially 12.5 million as per 2014 census but estimated to be far greater with many illegal immigrants as much as 5-10 million. The traffic will be like nothing you have ever experienced in your life. Honestly after a 12 hour flight I wouldn't drive a 3 hour drive through Joburg traffic.

• Like 1

I would avoid Fourways. The mall in Rustenburg is not more dangerous than other malls in RSA in my opinion. You have to be vigilant and aware wherever you go.

It will be the nearest, easiest option. There might be a Sun City bus that runs between Rustenburg and Sun City. Those would be ok to take.

I agree with Jordy that you DON'T want to face Joburg traffic! You will be a wreck (if you manage to avoid an accident at all!)

• Like 1

There is a nice woolworths at OR Tambo ( domestic) with clothing section as well as markhams. Maybe they can keep your online order there?

• 1 year later...

Hi Benm80,

There is a pretty good Cape Union Mart at the international departures area at ORT. IIRC the prices are not even "airport-inflated"