School year levels and what to expect

mark-liezel en kids

Hi,

My son is in year 11in NZ (year 10 Aus) this year. This year for every test they write, they earn credits and need a certain amount of credits at the end of the year to pass. My question is: Is this similar for year 10 students in OZ? We want to move over by June at the latest, but if he will be affected by the move and it is better to move by the end of the year, we will do that. Can anybody please inform me about the curriculum of year 10 and the best option for moving.

Many thanks

hi

This link will give you an idea of what kids in year 10 do/will have to do depending on the state you are moving to in English, Maths, Science and history: http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/ ( for WA the implementation date is 2015, but most schools have already "dabbled" in it. QLD are way ahead, etc.)

There is no "pass" in Year 10 as such (In NSW, students who leave at the end of year 10 receive a Record of School Achievement), but generally speaking and depending on which school sector you are looking at, schools will have minimum entry requirements for specific subjects e.g. to do Physics in Year 11, you must achieve a B+ or 70% in Year 10 Science.

I would suggest moving half way through the year- gives him time to settle in, get a feel for the expected standards, course options, etc.

But, there is no definitive answer I think as it depends very much on the individual..

Edited by Drought