Peter Moyes vs Quinns Baptist College vs Public for primary school

Annelie Siemens

Hi All,

Alright, so when we moved to Oz, our LB was only 18months, and schools wasn't a big issue for me, and of course we came to a 1st world country, so just thought he would go to a public school.

We rented in Butler for the first 18 months, and realised that our child will most probably go to school with kids living in the homes west houses etc, and to be honest, that is not the type of kids I want my child to mingle with(yes call me a snob on this one, but I didn't come all this way for his future, to let him deal with kids like that).

any how, so we decided to enrol him in the 2 private schools in our area, namely Quinns Baptist College and Peter Moyes Anglican College.

He was placed on the waiting list for both these schools to start kindy next year.

I must be honest, I didn't think we would get a call from Peter Moyes, as the lady stated very clearly that siblings and practising anglicans would get preference first.

Quinns I had a better feeling of getting a call.

Well in the mean time, we where so blessed to be able to build our own house in Alkimos. When we bought our land, we didn't know that a primary school was also being build literally up the road from us. It is about 300m from our house.

Only when we had moved in, did we realise a school was being build, and this made us think about enrolling him in the public school.

The public school is amazing, latest technology, is an independant public school, 400 teachers applied for teaching jobs, so the Principal could choose only the best. We have met with the principal, and he is all about Pride and Respect. The school will be a non-rewards school, so no golden star to do your homework, you have to do it because it makes you proud.

He has also decided that Kindy will be 3 days a week and not 5 days a forthnight, which will also help with the daycare costs.

This afternoon, I went to the school at collection time, and the parents that collected their kids, where all young families like ourselves, no bogans etc.

Now this is our dilemma -

Our boy has been invited to join the new pre-kindy program at Quinns Baptist(where the principal in not so many words kinda said that these are the first kids on the list, and should get space in Kindy).

This morning I got a call from Peter Moyes, and they also have space for him for next year, and we have our interview in March.

I have asked some opinions from people I know who have kids in Peter Moyes, and have heard feedback, that made the hair on my back stand up, and then others where they only praise the school.

So I will appreciate any opinions regarding the above mentioned schools, as I'm so confused, we just want to make the right decision, don't want to scar him for life due to a bad decision.

Thank you

Annelie

My kids go to QBC, and in general I have only good to say about it. Small niggles like using ninjas to teach math, and using the NIV and not the KJV bible. But in the big scheme of things they are awesome. Loaded with former Saffer teachers, and good Christian values. The youth pastor, Ryan is top notch.

Good to hear SurferMan, our son is due to start at QBC in the second term and so far we have heard only good reports :) we also popped in for a church service there one Sunday when we were on our LSD and Ryan was preaching and made a really good impression on us! We will definitely be back there once we land in April.