Will we make it with AUD$14000?

DaffyDuck

Such a great post - thank you so much for taking the time. We plan on leaving in Aug with a minimal budget - reading your post helps ease the stress slightly :)) Wishing you luck and God's protective hand xx

• Like 1

Hi Daffy.

So glad to hear that you guys are doing well. Hubby and I land in 12 days and are also staying in Randwich, Would be great to meet up with you.

• Like 1

A very big congratulations to you Daffy!! Thank you for such an awesome read 1st thing this morning :) makes me excited to get there now

• Like 1

Daffy, all I want to say is " God is good, always"! Your story gives us hope for the future xx

• Like 1

Hi Daffy,

There is no doubt that the immigration process is Scary- alot of it is because of the uncertainty surrounding your future. You leaving the known to enter into the unknown.

But I believe in the power of perserverance, faith and courage. I am sure you will one day want to start a family- let your unborn children be your motivation. You both, will have given them the best gift of all and when you settled, you can tell them a good story of how you left the land of your birth and made a positive life for them in a land that offered safety and security.

There is just a few thought that may help you cope. No good thing has ever come without great sacrific. Yes, you may be stepping backwards [or feel that way] but just know- YOU WILL start moving forward again. I always remind myself, that if I made it in South Africa with all its nephotism, corruption and favoritism- I sure as hell will make it in Australia where fairdom is encouraged.

You and your husband will make it Daffy. Go with a strategy. Pray for wisdom. Use your money wisely . You WILL make it last. You will get a Job and You will one day prosper.

Yes you going to have to sacrific, yes you have work as a team, yes you have to limit yourself but remember- determination and power of perserverance will get you through- coupled with your faith. Dont be afraid- I have heard of people going with 2 or 3 children and making the dream a reality. You dont have that but just two of you and when you have a baby one day- you can have the baby in a public hospital free of charge and their public hospitals are equivalent to our private hospitals.

However- go with a opened mind- take whatever job is offered but things will pick up. Try and join a club or church[if you christian]- try and establish a support base with people who share similar interests because nothing is more important than having people you can talk with - not money, not time- nothing...- has that will enhaunce positivity and hope within you.

I wish you the best and your husband. You are going to make it- be wise with your spending until you start to roll forward but until then- look for specials at places like coles etc and also start looking for a rental as soon as you get there. Apply for your Tax number, bank account, drivers licence etc as all that adds points towards your rental application... as their rental system is not based on a first come first serve basis like SA. If you didnt know this- PM me and I will give you more advice...

All the best and trust in your ability- you made it here- you will make it there.

Kind regards

Edited by Sol1

Hi Again Daffy,

Sorry for this belated post. I hadnt realised you already in Australia... I only read your first post and responded but seems you already there and settling in.

I am happy to hear this... all the best still and thanks for your updates

• Like 1

Hi Again Daffy,

Sorry for this belated post. I hadnt realised you already in Australia... I only read your first post and responded but seems you already there and settling in.

I am happy to hear this... all the best still and thanks for your updates

Hi Sol, no worries, thanks for taking the time to write your post. I am definitely taking your advice still to heart and am sure it'll encourage and help a lot of other people too.

So today marks 16 days in Sydney so far. It's my second week of working and my husband's first week. I am really enjoying the job and he is also enjoying his first few days now. It's hard work and rush, rush, rush to crazy deadlines, but the company I previously worked for was a good stepping stone in this regard and I feel like I'm coping fine at this stage. I even got remarks from my boss this week saying how thankful she is they have me and that I'm doing a great job! Was nice to hear. I am secretly holding thumbs they realise they need to make the position permanent and offer me employment. They certainly do need a full-time designer in my honnest opinion. What's also refreshing is the lack of exploitation I am experiencing. My previous job had very long working hours, often 10-14hr working days of which only the first 8 was payed for (illegal, I know, but in SA companies get away with that in my industry by playing the move in your contract of 'occassional' overtime which then is really better known as 'all the time overtime'...). Now, I get payed by the hour (perk of this being a freelance position at this stage I guess) and the money is good! I don't mind AT ALL working overtime, in fact I'm stoked to have the opportunity to work hard AND actually make fair money for it. It's rewarding.

We also moved into our new airbnb spot in North Bondi. So far so good. The change of scenery (new place and host) is nice. Also by staying here and there we are pushed to getting to know new transport routes better as well as gaining a better feel for the different areas. The weekend past we identified a few appartments/houses on gumtree that seemed nice to rent and made a Saturday of it going to the addresses of some and seeing what the areas are like. It's really expensive, as we expected, and to be honnest most propperties look pretty scruffy and uncared for from the outside. Yet when you view some of the interior pics in the posts, they seem pretty well maintained and modern on the inside. I guess one reason for the neglected gardens and buildings on the outside might have a lot to do with the lack of cheap labour to fix things up around the house/garden?

At this stage I'm not too bothered about ugly or not ugly places, I would be all too happy to have a nice 2 bedroom apartment/house right about now. It's one thing living in airbnb spots when you're on holiday, but it's another when your in the 8:30-17:00 workforce slot and have to rush and get ready and live like everyone else. Holding thumbs we find something soon to move into, even though we would still have to wing it on basics and backpacks as our movecube is only arriving in July. I am sure I will find out then: Ikea is my friend :)

• Like 3

Today in less than 3 months I will be in Melbourne... and panic and doubt tends to kick in every now and again...

I heard a great quote on the radio this morning (every time I start doubting or feeling panic or fear, there is something that affirms my resolve, and this was one of them).

"My desperation for change was greater than my fear if failure"

This is true - I need this change and therefore I will bite the bullet and go for it - I do not want to live with regret one day.post-18365-0-57924100-1399026547_thumb.j

• Like 1