Family day care....

Crossedover

I am a high school teacher that changed tac and opened a Playschool 7 years ago... I am very blessed that my Playschool has been very successful - I only say that so you can assume I won't do a bum job! Luckily I have some families who have come to my school who now live in Oz who can serve as references....

My question to parents of young kids ... Under 4

1. Is there a great need for such facilities as I am led to believe?

2. As a newbie to Os what would be the best way to find families who need this service?

Is there anybody out there who is running such a facility who is prepared to share the process with me?

Or are there and high school teachers that I can ask many questions to?

Thanks so much.... Anxious from the other side!

My two year old is at a great family day care around the corner. I can only speak for Sydney/NSW, so bear in mind over here many laws/rules/procedures differs from state to state. I am pretty certain in NSW you cant be a "independent" family day care, just advertising yourself. It all works via the council, for good reason and parents peace of mind. The council will put you into contact with the department and coordinator that deals with this and they will give you the list of hoops you will have to jump through before you can start. That will include checks to the property, your childcare education diplomas, police checks, etc. In the last year, the ratio has come down to 4 kids per day you can look after and the level of qualifications you need as an operator has gone up. We pay $77 per day (9-4pm) of which the council takes $7.

Ps. There is a great need and the council has a waiting list of parents looking to find spaces.

Thanks rozellem.... I do believe there is a PROCESS but I am not too put off by that... Here my school is unregistered and nobody cares, despite numerous efforts! The hours do seem much longer over there, understandably ..... Do they close for school holidays?

Here I look after 12 to 14 kids with one helper.... Easily. 4 seems like a breeze !

I would love to hear from other moms/dads too....

Fees? Hours? Closed for the holidays? Who provides the food? Sleeping arrangements? Are their days structured or is it babysitting?

Thanks so much x

Sorry, me again. My carer only close for about 6 weeks over Christmas. She also doesnt work on Thur, Fri. It is not like babysitting. She has to plan "lessons", more like themes they look at, draw, sing about, discuss, collect.... Be it sea creatures, volcanos, transport, birds, etc. Her lesson plans are there for all to see and the lady from the council pops in unanounced regularly. There is a iPad where we can see photos of the day. I have to give nappies and a fruit. The other food she provides, including a pasta style lunch. Kids nap on mats after lunch, if still at that age. This woman we use has a covered outside space and a converted garage/grannyflat now, but the kids used to be in her house.

Don't be sorry Finding info is like putting a puzzle together... The more pieces the better!!! Thanks for any bit of info...

So she basically offers care for 3 days a week.... Interesting .... Rozellem is there a limit to how often kids can go to day care in Australia ? Is it the price or state guidelines that prevent kids going every day of the week?

There is a massive variety of child care type options here. Note, often the name differs from what people call it in RSA. There are generally more kids than places, so you are on to a good thing. One chooses childcare according to your lifestyle, work commitments, available finances, etc. Aus has a very relaxed and flexible work/life balance. Most of my female friends and acquaintances work part time. My neighbours do 3days (mum) and 4days (dad) each. I would say, in my experience (and I speak to a lot of women being a hairdresser), women work later in life here, but many dont work a full week. You would also find a child stays with granny one day a week, and say family day care for 3 days, and then with the mum one day a week. Its normal to mix and match like that. My friend is a teacher who works two days and she "job shares" with another teacher who does the other three days in the class. The kids find it normal that they have two different teachers. My 4year old goes to pre school here on Mon,Tue, Wed 9-3pm. I noticed on our recent holiday to RSA that his 4 year old cousin goes Mo-Fri from 8-12 or something like that. If you wanted, you could put your kid in some or other sort of child care form Mo-Fri, but I think the government's financial help gets capped at $7.5k a year, so people work out what amount of work vs childcare days would get them them the best deal financially. I find a lot of women I meet commit to spending more time at home while the kids are little, while still keeping their toe in the work place a couple of days a week, so that they go back to work when the kids are older. Most of my Sydney girlfriends take a year off work after a baby, then go back two days a week. It might be different in other places, but this is how I experience it around here.

My kids are big now but I believe this new National Quality Framework is what all childcare providers are working towards? Maybe others know more and can elaborate http://acecqa.gov.au/national-quality-framework

And

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/articles/child_care_national_quality_framework.html

There is a lot of info on the internet about it.

In the ACT (Canberra) you can do everything through Communities@work. They help you with info and if you meet all the requirements they will provide you with clients. If you are registered with them your parents get a rebate/ discount. Parents also get a child care benefit (refund/rebate/help) from the state. There is a huge demand for FDC. You are allowed 4 kids not attending school and 3 after school kids ( your own kids count as part of this quota). I hope this helps a bit.

In the ACT (Canberra) you can do everything through Communities@work. They help you with info and if you meet all the requirements they will provide you with clients. If you are registered with them your parents get a rebate/ discount. Parents also get a child care benefit (refund/rebate/help) from the state. There is a huge demand for FDC. You are allowed 4 kids not attending school and 3 after school kids ( your own kids count as part of this quota). I hope this helps a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to find family day care in our area but there is nothing available. I also considered doing it myself but the following put me off.

1. I have three kids of my own (although two are school age) so I would only be able to look after a few which might not really be worth my while.

2. I would need to take them with to school drop off and pick ups which I'm not so keen on. Although now we live walking distance from the school so not a problem anymore.

3. We are still renting and you obviously need permission from the owner etc.

If you don't have kids of your own it might be a good option.